• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex weird starting issue

bougon_Apex

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Apex LTX GT - 40th Anniversary
Hey guys, Ive a weird starting issue with my Apex. One day after work tried to start the apex and I got the infamous click and nothing. Tried tapping the starter selenoids and starter itself and nothing. For whatever reason I told to myself let rotate the clutch. I just wiggled the clutch and started right up. I tought i was maybe a random luck and the sled started fine many time after that but I put a new kimpex selenoid in it, cleaned the old oem one and keep it for spaire in my back case. Started fine several time and one day in the trail after talking at a stop, tried to start the sled and nothing. So I rotated the clutch right away and started right away.

So guys do you think it could be a weak starter or maybe a weird spot on the ring/flywheel gear?

Hey guys, Ive a weird starting issue with my Apex. One day after work tried to start the apex and I got the infamous click and nothing. Tried tapping the starter selenoids and starter itself and nothing. For whatever reason I told to myself let rotate the clutch. I just wiggled the clutch and started right up. I tought i was maybe a random luck and the sled started fine many time after that but I put a new kimpex selenoid in it, cleaned the old oem one and keep it for spaire in my back case. Started fine several time and one day in the trail after talking at a stop, tried to start the sled and nothing. So I rotated the clutch right away and started right away.

So guys do you think it could be a weak starter or maybe a weird spot on the ring/flywheel gear?
1. Check to be sure the battery terminals are good and tight.
2. Starter.

Dead winding in the starter. Moving the armature will allow the starter to spin again.
Replace the starter as this will only get worse.
So could I just replace the number 2 in that dia? Its listed at brush assembly

Attachments

• IMG_7265.png
    IMG_7265.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 40
Update: starter was shoot. Magnet inside broke off so make sens. Also didnt want to pay full price for a starter, so I decided to go with a amazon special called Niche. Really cheap it was like 80$ CAD. Honestly work fantastic for now. I know aftermarket starter are not really high quoted here but let see

Attachments

• IMG_7308.jpeg
    IMG_7308.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 18
Knowing the ease with replacing the starter on an Apex vs. say a Nytro or other similar model where engine movement is required for cleareance to remove the starter, many, myself included, have opted for an aftermarket starter like you went with vs OEM. I went with one that Travis of Barn of Parts offers for my 08 Apex and haven't had any issues with it since.

Back