• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Backfireing

TT

TY 4 Stroke Master
I have a 03 Rx-1M with ECP. When I let go of the throtle after riding hard for a while - or when pumping the throtle and let go - the engine will backfire. Engine idles fine. The springs and jets are changed - kit springs and jets. Any suggestion - sync. carbs, sparkplugs arching. needle? :o|

Sounds to me that you might have not enough throttle free play. This will "tickle" the TORS at certain throttle settings. Also remove the spark plugs caps/stick coils and remove the rubber boots over the caps and turn the lights out in your garage or do this outside when it is dark out. Start the engine and let it idles and look for arcing down inside the aprk plug well. If this occurs, you can visit a Radio Shack or an electronics supply house and buy some Dielectric grease. Smear the DE all over the sparkplug and the outside of the cap/stick coil. Then go to your Yamaha dealer and order new caps/coils. The DE will alllow you to ride until the new caps arrive.

Freddie

Unplugged the TORS and bypass it. The eninge stopped backfiring at once. I`ll try to figure out what is causing the TORS to activate.

TT said:
I`ll try to figure out what is causing the TORS to activate.

SUPERTUNER said:
Sounds to me that you might have not enough throttle free play. This will "tickle" the TORS at certain throttle settings.

Freddie

Back