• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts 11-18 Apex Header Repair Flanges

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Been working on repair flanges for the 11-18 headers. These are made of SS and fit inside the header once you cut the old flange off. These are an interference fit and can be tapped in with a mallet. I opted to install on ID of pipe to minimize chance of leak. Once header is bolted in and the flex pipe is clamped to the new flange it really can't go anywhere but i'm thinking a high temp epoxy may be good idea to assist the interference fit as well provide additional sealing.

Anyone have any suggestions? Been looking at JB weld exhaust system sealant but maybe a high temp permatex silcone that remains flexible would be better.

thumbnail_IMG_0043.jpg

Last edited:

Been working on repair flanges for the 11-18 headers. These are made of SS and fit inside the header once you cut the old flange off. This are an interference fit and can be tapped in with a mallet. I opted to install on ID of pipe to minimize chance of leak. Once header is bolted in flex pipe is clamped to the new flange it really can't go anywhere but i'm thinking a high temp epoxy may be good idea to assist the interference fit as well provide additional sealing.

Anyone have any suggestions? Been looking at JB weld exhaust system sealant but maybe a high temp permatex silcone that remains flexible would be better.

View attachment 175733
How much? 25% price of new header...? (One of my eyes is winking)

I just used some of the JB weld Extreme Temp to try to set an O2 sensor in on my Polaris General. Maybe I didn't give it long enough to cure, but it blew out after a good heat up. I have seen videos of it working well though.

I may try it on my pipes in my 2012 XTX where the studs scratched through. It may just be the bandaid needed to save me the cost of a new header. It can cure all summer, as we will don't have ridable snow.

How much? 25% price of new header...? (One of my eyes is winking)
Lets see... list price of that header is now an insane $5600...25% of that divided by 4 puts each flange at around $350! lol.

I'm thinking the flanges will retail for around $90 each.

I will have to check what I used for the MRBP exhaust I had ran on my 08 Apex for a short time as it shipped in two pieces where you had to connect the crossover pipe to the muffler portion using clamps and what I believe was high temp silicon; just remember it being orange in color. I was initially concerned it would leak but never had any issues so wouldn't see why that stuff wouldn't work in your application, Travis.

I know somebody makes stuff but been retired from gas and steam turbine too long...mcmaster carr sells this stuff good to 2300 deg. F. Says good for all kinds of extreme temps, exhaust etc.

I will have to check what I used for the MRBP exhaust I had ran on my 08 Apex for a short time as it shipped in two pieces where you had to connect the crossover pipe to the muffler portion using clamps and what I believe was high temp silicon; just remember it being orange in color. I was initially concerned it would leak but never had any issues so wouldn't see why that stuff wouldn't work in your application, Travis.
I always used that changing donuts. Kind of dries out over time, but seems ok. Id try the stuff I posted above. Pricey but quite a bit in the jar.

Tried a bunch of that high temp epoxy. If you put it that close to the exhaust valve it will probably be gone during the first ride.

Thanks,

I absolutely love this idea. I had to have mine welded up last year, got lucky that there is a semi-local custom shop that was able to get titanium tubing that would fit inside the header like your setup and he formed a flange. Not the normal though, he does full custom hotrods and restorations so his skill set is rather large. The only issue I ran into with it being inside the tube was I had to trim the flex pipe back a tiny bit since it would interfere and not let the header slip all the way on. I put about 650 miles on this year (I think) and no issues, So I assume yours would work excellent as well. Thanks for being a great resource to try and keep these sleds on the snow!

Traditional epoxies won't work, even the high temp ones. The silicon based sealants, clay based (JB Weld), or there are some fireplace sealants that might work, none of which are epoxies.

The highest temp RTV that I could find was Permatex Ultimate Red... but even that is only rated for 750-degrees.

Ideally, you would want the flanges to be made out of a material that will expand quicker (and maybe a little more) than the titanium with the heat of the exhaust. As long as both parts are round, it should seal itself then.

If there is room a thin band clamp would be a good solution.

The highest temp RTV that I could find was Permatex Ultimate Red... but even that is only rated for 750-degrees.

Ideally, you would want the flanges to be made out of a material that will expand quicker (and maybe a little more) than the titanium with the heat of the exhaust. As long as both parts are round, it should seal itself then.

Almost everything expands faster than titanium

Back