• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bearing

vector06

Expert
How hard is it to change the bearing behind the speedo sensor on a 2006 Vector GT? Wifes sled has 5600 miles on it now. Am I on borrowed time? Do I have to pull the suspension/chaincase or is there a way to do it without going thru all that hassle?

Loosen the track. Remove secondary, speedo sensor, small speedo gear, and the collar around the bearing. Under the sled remove 2 torx set screws on the bearing. You should now be able to push the bearing off with a screw driver. Have someone help so you can hold the drive shaft from moving around to much, which stresses the chaincase bearing. The second person pulls the old bearing the rest of the way off them pushes on the new bearing. Tighten the torx set screws into the new bearing and put it back together. Some guys on here can do it in 11 seconds, it takes me 3 days. I'm sure you will fall somewhere in the middle.

vector06 said:
How hard is it to change the bearing behind the speedo sensor on a 2006 Vector GT? Wifes sled has 5600 miles on it now. Am I on borrowed time? Do I have to pull the suspension/chaincase or is there a way to do it without going thru all that hassle?

If its never been greased then you are on borrowed time!!! Dont want to have it fail out on the trail. Im talking from experience :o|

JROCK said:
vector06 said:

If its never been greased then you are on borrowed time!!! Dont want to have it fail out on the trail. Im talking from experience :o|

ME TOO!!! Mine went out on the trail at 5000 miles. Not a pleasant experience. It's a $20 bearing and not that difficult to replace.

Had one heck of a job trying to remove the speedo bearings on my 04warrior and brothers 06 nytro.Used a cheap blind bearing puller that only removed the other race(left the inner race still on the shaft).Then i used a dremmel tool to cut a slit in the inner race.Then i hit the slit with a cold chissel/hammer.Kept using liquid wrench while rotating the race with a screwdriver.After 15 minutes i pulled it off by hand :Rockon: .Before installing the new bearing i coated the shaft with never seize.Hope it works out for you.

I actually had my dealer do it while it was being serviced. The bearing was $27.00 and they charged me $20.00 to install it. Cheap enough I thought, so I told them to have at it...

vector06 said:
I actually had my dealer do it while it was being serviced. The bearing was $27.00 and they charged me $20.00 to install it. Cheap enough I thought, so I told them to have at it...

That's a good deal, if my dealer was that cheap, I'd have him do all my work! ;)!

Back