• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Squeelin'!?

Iwankow

Does anyone have any solution to solving an annoying belt squeel for my 05 Rage? This happens when at idle, I put a brand new Yamaha belt on and was hoping the noise would go away after a while, unfortunately it's still there. Not sure whether it's a clutch problem, alignment, some guys I talked to say this is quite common, I don't like it! Thanks, this forum has been like having hundreds of sled buddies.

Some new belts just do it............... Did you wash the new belt good in soapy water before installing????????? If you are unhappy you can adjust the clutch with washers..... I'm not sure how to do it but that's the commond fix.. As the belt wears the sound may just go bye-bye.. MM.

Same happened to me this fall after installation of a new belt. Even scrubbed it down good with soapy water to remove any residue. I just drove it that way and after a couple hundred miles of use the squeal went away.

Iwankow said:
Does anyone have any solution to solving an annoying belt squeel for my 05 Rage? This happens when at idle, I put a brand new Yamaha belt on and was hoping the noise would go away after a while, unfortunately it's still there. Not sure whether it's a clutch problem, alignment, some guys I talked to say this is quite common, I don't like it! Thanks, this forum has been like having hundreds of sled buddies.

Your secondary needs to be adjusted by changing out the shims on the back of the secondary underneath the 3 screws you'll see.

IMO - the hard compound on the stock Yami belt is not very forgiving on incorrect adjustments....especially when they're new.

FWIW - I've only put on 2 new belts and it never mattered if I washed them or not. They squealed until the 2ndary was shimmed properly/

Iwankow said:
FWIW - I've only put on 2 new belts and it never mattered if I washed them or not. They squealed until the 2ndary was shimmed properly/

Or until the new belt wears down to fit the mis shimmed 2ndary!!

Groomerdriver said:
Iwankow said:

Your secondary needs to be adjusted by changing out the shims on the back of the secondary underneath the 3 screws you'll see.

IMO - the hard compound on the stock Yami belt is not very forgiving on incorrect adjustments....especially when they're new.

What he said ;)!

Just remove the three washers behind the the bolts on back of the secondary clutch as it says in the owners manual. You don't even need to remove the secondary clutch, just do one at a time, and manually rotate the clutch. This will get rid of that squeel. Put the washers back later after a few hundred miles or so if you want to.

Should go away after 1000 miles or more... I just remove the washers under the bolts for about 1500 mi then put em back in after the belts broke in lol...

I talked to Hartman about this problem with my sled and he says to substitute the Yamaha belt for a "Ultimax 3" belt #138-4432U3 as the Yamaha belt wouldn't stop the squeeling and leave the shims in as they were. It really works with no squeeling at all. MiKe, Eden,Vt 05 Vector ER.

wifes 07' dos it as well w/ the new belt but its no big deal and only at slow speeds. hard compound belts for high hp sleds.

For correct height (and engagement of secondary) the belt should rest slightly above the rim of the secondary, the manual says to add washers as necessary to achieve this.
I did just that and the squeal became worse of course as the belt is now slightly tighter.
I didn't mind the squeal before (at idle only), but now I'm going to take out all the washers as the noise is too much! With so much torque at take off, its a small sacrifice for one's sanity.
One of the negative's with the vector is the ugly fact that it loves to make ice. I like to let the machine idle for a bit after a ride and melt off as much of the heavy stuff as possible. The noise from the belt is just as much a negative, but weighed against the fact that the belts tend to last and last, it all evens out in the bigger picture.

Belt squeal

Had the same problem with a new belt. The sled actually started creeping forward at idle when parked on ice. Also could smell rubber burning.
Had to remove washers as mentioned by others. The spec is < .06 above the top of the sheave and < .02 below the top of the sheave. New belt was 1.4" wide, old one was 1.3 " wide.

Back