• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary noise?

Repacked both bearings & ground the edges off the brake pads. The noise is still there. Must be primary.

Still haven’t solved this. More clues though, bragging rights to whomever can diagnose. The primary sheaves are hot to touch. Like you can’t leave fingers on there for more then 10 seconds. The inner bushing is hotter, like you can’t touch for more than 3 seconds. The secondary sheaves are warm to touch, not hot at all. Ideas? I assume rebuilding the clutches is in the works, hopefully in the off season, but wondering what could be the cause nonetheless.

When you had your primary apart with the spring out did you try pushing on the moveable sheve. It should slide back and forth fairly easy, if not it needs to be taken apart and cleaned probably needs a new bushing also. You will have to take it to a Yamaha dealer or send it to Thunder Products because you will need a grunt tool to loosen up the spider.

I did, and it did move freely i believe. If I have the primary off and flip it over It won’t move on it’s own, but with push it will. I did think it might need a bushing replaced, or maybe stub shaft bearing? But I can’t say for certain. Not sure if a stub shaft bearing would heat the bushing & sheaves up like that. Or if something failing in the spider would do that.

Last edited:

Back