• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BENDER TURBO turbo time powerhaulic sled head

4kops said:
Why don't you see any applications in the oem field (cars, trucks,boats,etc.) where the turbo is 4 to 5 feet from the engine they mount them as close the the engine as possible.

A few possibilities............... They have TONS of room under the hood compared to a sled. They don't have things like gas tanks in the way. They don't have clearance issues with things like headers. They have a lot less issues with under hood temps because they have more under hood room and ventilation. They can cool the area with more vents etc because they don't have big issues with snow entering the engine compartment.

the simons kit uses the stock oil system, and taps in by the oil filter, the turbo sits right over the top of the engine and has a high flow drain to return the turbo oil to the engine without any chance of restriction. the simons oiling system is simple and effective, the more complicated you make the system, the more vulnerable it is to failure. as for the oil pump failure that turbo lover had, my comment was that a oilpump failure is bad either way, but if it fails on the feed side, as i believe the original bender system that he said he was going back to , that it will destroy the turbo instantly.

spray, i had talked to a guy who owns a bender turbo and he was telling me that the filter was clogging with snow, i guess if you think about it, theres alot of snow flying around back there, but thats just one more reason why i like the front mount turbos bettter, some could argue that they will get a better cooling effect from the rear mount, but they also have alot smaller intercooler, and alot more volume to pressurize that will creat alittle more lag, i guess there are pros and cons on everything, i just like things that are simple by nature, less room for potential failures.

You are correct there is an issue with the rear filter sucking in snow/water.

Where on the engine does CPR return the oil? To the Valve cover or to the crankcase or the sump? The McXpress gets it oil from the same place but has updated the kit to return it to the line which runs from the crankcase to the sump. Prior to this the return was to the head.

do not plan to get in the fray vs. who's turbo is best..... the fact is a rx1 with a turbo is the point to manage towards....... not sure many have been around turbo's since land and sea offered the kits way back when, but this old fool was.... will put my list of broken parts due to a turbo against anyone's.....so now that i have disqualified by self as a expert, the point i make is this..... rear tubo's have big advantages given the confines of a rx1.... cold dense air= more power per lb. of boost and less change of detnoation..... lag?? air speed in the charge tube is near the speed of sound.... so if you can measure time in less than a second, lets not waste time with the back in forth talk... i like the bender kit for these reasons.... ballbearing turbo, proper sizing of the system, and cold dense air into the engine..... check out the air temps on the dyno sessions.... tune the engine to the drive line, and my sled runs 130 in 1000 ft on the race track, and is lake ready when i get home... with the bender system i have had no problems other than taking out the turbo bearings last year when i was testing the outer limit of the turbo.... yes spin the turbo in excess of 100,000 rpm and you will have bearing problems as the trubo is rated at 70,000 rpm... again, the point to manage toward is get a turbo on that rx1

kip said:
yes spin the turbo in excess of 100,000 rpm and you will have bearing problems as the trubo is rated at 70,000 rpm... again, the point to manage toward is get a turbo on that rx1

Could you expand on this? How did you do this and how much boost were you running?

in testing the limits of the turbo, boost in excess of 14lbs had the wheel rpm over the top....

kip is 100% Correct, 14LB. is the max for this turbo on this engine. compressor wheel RPM is at the max. Thats why Bender has a stage 3 kit for higher boost levels. It is a larger compressor, and is capable of about 24LB. boost

Back