• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent tunnels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S pump

Extreme
I've seen some talk of bent tunnels here and elsewhere. I want to be ahead of the curve on this, does anybody make a reinforcing kit for the Apex or know of any? Please don't censor this post as I will be real pissed if I bend mine and there is a fix around.

Someone on here mentioned that the attak already has one from the factory, maybe you could order that part? Worth looking in to.

This is the first i have herd of a tunnel problem. How and where are they bending?

rider error. Dont expect yam to pony up for that. Those with bent tunnels good luck selling, you can shave half the value off. That sucks bit time.

I saw the pic where the tunnel was bent and I looked at mine. It doesn't look like a weak spot and even if it does bend there it doesn't effect the suspension because where its bent is way behind the mounting points. I know that the old ZX Doo's suffered from bending tunnels but they bent by your footwells in an area that supported the suspension. The only thing I could think that would make the tunnel bend behind the mounting points on the Apex like in the pic would be if he had a passenger sitting on the rear storage area and he hit hard and bottomed out. I had a freind with a 01 Polaris edge who bent his tunnel just like in the Apex pic. The reason he bent his was because he rode double with his girlfreind sitting on the back and he rode like a maniac. His girlfreind was only 120 lbs but if you get 120 lbs hitting moguls at a high rate you would be surprised how much leverage that would produce and the damage it could cause.

X-APE said:
rider error. Dont expect yam to pony up for that. Those with bent tunnels good luck selling, you can shave half the value off. That sucks bit time.

I have heard of 3 beding right ahead of the exhaust, dealer needs to speak with Yammy and get ahead of this before it is bad for the brand.

Rider error, yah maybe I bought the wrong sled. I've now heard of 5 that have bent and only 1 that knew how. There is a problem with the design and it needs to be addressed. No big deal but calm down with your proclamations. There is a problem, they should fix it. A simple brace and dealer install would calm me down. If I bend mine , trust me, I won't be calm.

X-APE said:

How is a blown shock rider error? I expect they'll pony up. Oh yeah I will. I want to run the sled next year, my only beef is the rear end.

A neighbor kid bent his tunnel as a rider error. Lanched his sled off a raised driveway and night coming across a field at 70-80 mph. Sled went over 100 feet in the air before it hit the ground on the rear axle. He had 5 miles and his new Arctic Cat at the time. Totalled it! That is riding stupid and not the fault of the manufacture. I have witness a lot of stupid riders over the years.

Arctic Express said:
A neighbor kid bent his tunnel as a rider error. Lanched his sled off a raised driveway and night coming across a field at 70-80 mph. Sled went over 100 feet in the air before it hit the ground on the rear axle. He had 5 miles and his new Arctic Cat at the time. Totalled it! That is riding stupid and not the fault of the manufacture. I have witness a lot of stupid riders over the years.

I don't know how to prove that wasn't the case, but it wasn't. The sled has never been abused, on the roof, whatever. Once it's determined that the shock is blown (just step on the rear bumper and it's obvious), I would think Yamaha will realize this is a legitimate warranty claim.

Wolfie.. i hope you get yamaha to warranty it for you... but i really cant see it happening..

You would think the shock would bust off before the tunnel would bend.. expecially the way yours looks.. I would tend to believe it war rear ended or landed on the rear wheels very hard..

Im just saying.. its going to be hard to proove! Not that i dont believe you..

Let us know what happens.

Think about it. The shock is blown. The sled doesn't have a scratch on it, other than the bent tunnel. I think it's pretty clear what caused what.

a shock being locked up would make sense..

a shock being blown doesnt.. Ive seen several sleds with blown shocks... You can push the rear suspension down and it fly back up imediately because there is no shock to slow down the rate of return..

Like i said... i just hope you can get the dealer to agree with ya.... ITS A TOUGH SALE..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back