• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Biggest tires for 2004 Kodiak

Super Sled

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Summit X
Hello!

I have a 2004 Kodiak 400 4x4 Auto. Tires and rims are stock since I bought it new. I'm thinking upgrading for better traction, more ground clearance, and of course looks. Big tires just flat out look awesome!

What are the largest size tires i can install on the machine? I've seen decent deals on wheel/rim packages on Ebay, etc., and that is the way I want to go -- I'm gonna buy a package of pre set up wheels and rims, so all i have to do is remove the stock wheels, bolt them on myself and go!

I like ITP Mud Lite XL's a lot with the 1 1/8" lugs. They look sweet. I also have heard I can go 26" no problem stock.....

Is 26" the highest I can go with the XL's?

Here is a potential package:

ITP Mud Lite XL's

Front: 26" x 10" x 12" with ITP stainless rims.

Rear: 26" x 12" x 12" with ITP stainless rims.

Any issues with these fitting on a stock machine? For those who've done this, do you like it? Can i go taller, like 27", or will I hit the fenders? I have fender flares installed.

I know I should do a heightening kit too, but i really don't want to. Just install wheels....

Thx!

Mike

unless you have a low range, i would not go bigger than 26". my bike will not spin my 26" interco swamplites unless it is in low range in the really sticky stuff. 27" would fit but you do not have the power to spin them in the mud. with 26" you are going to need a clutch kit to get back some of the bottom end you are going to loose with the bigger rubber.

rims are the same as what i had to put on for the front ones to fit so you should be fine.
high centered
rivervalley2009018.jpg

at lunch break
rivervalley2009020.jpg

1992 big bear sitting beside on stock rubber.
rivervalley2009010.jpg

griz in pic is on 27", canam is on 30"
april2608002.jpg

I run the mud lites on my grizzly. They're a good all around trail and mud tire. but if you run in the mud a lot you're going to have a hard time spinning them especially if you go to a 26 or 27". They may look good but are useless if you can't spin them. I'd stick with the 25" if you go with the XL's

Thx for the advice everybody. I did go with the 26 X 10 - 12 front and 26 x 12 - 12 rear. If I need some clutch tweaking I will do that. I just found a smoking deal and I could not pass it up. ITP Mud Lite XL's on Black SS 212 rims. $600 or so plus tax ordered from my dealer. Once I get them and have them wrenched on I'll post some pics. Right now I am psyched!!!!!!

Mike

That is a lot of tire for a 400. Let us know how it works out for you. You have two things working against you. Wide and tall, both suck up power.

mntvipermn said:
Thx for the advice everybody. I did go with the 26 X 10 - 12 front and 26 x 12 - 12 rear. If I need some clutch tweaking I will do that. I just found a smoking deal and I could not pass it up. ITP Mud Lite XL's on Black SS 212 rims. $600 or so plus tax ordered from my dealer. Once I get them and have them wrenched on I'll post some pics. Right now I am psyched!!!!!!

Mike

Sorry no pics yet, but they are installed and pretty well broken in already. They work great, just fantastic. The power loss was extremely minimal, if anything. The machine still has plenty of snort. In the mud, I imagine they'd spin if I needed, but those new tires have so much damn traction they never broke loose. And i was in a foot and a half deep or so! (I was alone with no winch, I'm not stupid to go too much deeper)

Bottom line, the tires are HUGE, and they look and feel awesome. i will take pics and get them downloaded when i have more time this weekend.

As for fit and finish on the machine, they look awesome and fit very nicely. i do have fender flares installed, which is a must -- they even stick out a little from those! But they do not rub anywhere in the plastic or in the wheel wells, even when the suspension is compacted. IMO, one could have fit 27's in there even -- mine are 26's in the XL size, taller lugs.

Now may be time for some installed on the Bruin!!!!!

Mike

Pics...

Well here are the pics. I love the tires......

The tires.....

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Some other pics:

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0104-1.jpg

IMG_0110-1.jpg

IMG_0113-1.jpg

IMG_0111-1.jpg

Even my little guy drives a Yammi:

IMG_0106-1.jpg

IMG_0108-1.jpg

Just living the dream.......

BTW, I already ordered an identical set for my Bruin 350!!!!!

Mike

;)! ;)! :flag:

Nice rims! I'd love to install a set but my front rims tend to get bent. I carry a large hammer under the seat to beat them back. I'd have those nice looking rims all beat up.

grizztracks said:
Nice rims! I'd love to install a set but my front rims tend to get bent. I carry a large hammer under the seat to beat them back. I'd have those nice looking rims all beat up.

Thx Grizz!!!!!!

We'll see how long they last looking new, prob not long until they get some nice "scars."

Although they look a lot more solid then those pressed out sheet metal rims they came with.......

You'd really have to pound the shiite out of them I bet to bend them out of round, much more than the stock ones!!!!

Mike

grizztracks said:

I am with you when it comes to rims. I am now using steel wheels with my 27" Dirt Devils. I was using alloy wheels and they just didn't stand up to the rocks and trail obstacles. With alloy wheels if you have to apply some heat to get them beat back into shape they will sometimes spit and then they look really bad. Steel rims just need a shot of spray paint and are good to go.

I really do like the looks of the custom wheels tho.

I just got my Bruin tires a day or so ago. Once I got them and the fender flares installed I'll post pics of that one also......

BTW, these are slick and very rugged. I'd recommend them.

RIMS:

Waaaaaay more rugged then the stock rims -- not even close. I had many bends and dings in the stock rims and they were shot as were the tires -- hence, why I replaced. I don't think these would chip or bend as easy. Of course being that aluminum is more brittle than pressed sheet metal these might crack easier. But they do have a lifetime warranty from ITP, so if they break I get a new one free as replacement!

TIRES:

Also no comparison. These are a huge improvement over stock. Traction is a given. But also in ride quality. I noticed it, but my dad was the one who really is preaching about the much improved ride quality. hey, a 65 year old would tend to notice those bumps more than a 30 something svelte young man like myself!

Now with these I can go where I would not have dreamed to go before. the tires will find the traction anywhere. Also, my ground clearance is about 3" higher than stock -- no bottoming out/ skipping off rocks anymore.

They do turn harder, however. Not much, but a little I don't mind, but it might bother some. To alleviate that somewhat a guy could get the front tires in 26 - 9 x 12's instead of the 26 - 10 x 12's I bought. I've heard they'll turn a little easier. But I wanted the biggest, baddest tires I could get on my atv's, and I believe I found them.

I'll post pics of the Bruin soon.

Mike

Back