• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

blew 2 belts in 2 days. Help!

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex MTX
2009 Vector LTX GT
I blew two belts, one yesterday and one today. My sled has around 16,300 miles and I have not replaced the rollers or weights on the primary clutch, so could this be what is blowing the belts? I cleaned the clutches at the beginning of this season but that was around 3,500 miles ago. Please help!!

If you haven't rebuilt your primary in that many miles I would anyway, we replaced one with 17km with a pb80 and it made a huge difference. Also there's 2 bushings and 3 sliders in the secondary that should be replaced,as well as the spring

If you haven't rebuilt your primary in that many miles I would anyway, we replaced one with 17km with a pb80 and it made a huge difference. Also there's 2 bushings and 3 sliders in the secondary that should be replaced,as well as the spring
I have ordered two springs one for the primary and one for the secondary, 1 bushing for the secondary(the one where the sheaves go and not the helix one as there was not much play in the helix one vs the sheaves one) and 3 rollers for the primary clutch and a new belt.

Last edited:
Check the lower guard to see if it is bent up on the front-most side. Mine was bent from the first belt blow and was causing rubbing, heat generation, and two more belts were blown.

Here is the factory service manual for the 2010-2011 which may apply to your 2009 clutches: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cZwkAHibtb4q59mi83XBukZHLsacgT7k

This has all the things to check with the clutching including the offset, deflection, spring lengths, and secondary sheave gap. A digital caliper will help ($15 on Amazon). Make sure everything is within spec. Replace your buttons (ramps) too ($6 at barnofparts.com).

I put on a 2002 v-max secondary clutch until I get the parts for mine and get mine fixed. So far I have over 300 miles with this v-max clutch and have not blown a belt yet... I did check the sheave offset and from what I can tell it is more than what it should be. So I would need to take the washer/spacer out but then I would not have any washers behind the clutch on the shaft, so I am going to leave the washer there.

You have to add one or more on the back then. They are different sizes. I had to add a 2mm one on the back and take off a 2mm one on the front. You need to have 1-2mm of play in the secondary as stated in the manual. My offset was 12.69mm and it should be at a minimum 14mm. Adding 2mm to the back and removing 2mm from the front bumped this up to 14.69mm.

If it didn't have a belt blowing issue before the first one went then offset is probably OK. Fragments of the first belt failure can wedge and get caught in the clutches and sometimes taking them apart is necessary to clean all the belt pieces out. Service the clutches and replace parts as needed.

Last year I had on an aftermarket belt and that was blown at the end of the year. But I did get 3,000 something miles out of a new belt this year. I am getting some parts for both of my clutches but I still might have a dealer go over the primary and maybe the secondary this summer.

I got my new primary spring and rollers and also the bushing for the secondary. The only other part that I ordered was the secondary spring and that has not come in yet. I put on around 700 miles with the 2002 v-max secondary clutch and did not blow a belt in that amount of miles. So today I put on my secondary clutch( new bushing and I also sanded down the helix) so I will give that a try but still need to put in the new spring when that comes in. I checked the sheave offset again this time with both of my clutches and it was good. I will give it a try and hopefully not blow any more belts.

Yesterday I blew another belt. That is number 3. I was going 60 to 70 MPH and it was fine and then I was opening it up on a strait stretch and it blew.

Are your flyweights in the primary grooved? This can be a problem with higher mileage 3 cylinder 4 strokes.

There is a good chance you have warped clutch sheaves. I have heard this being the problem for blowing many belts before.

Do you have a pic of the blown belts? How are they failing? Is top coming off? chunks breaking off the sides? Breaking in half?

I've only ever blown 2 belts on my LTX in 4000 miles. Pretty much back to back, within 200 miles of each other. The first belt was the original and it had over 5000 miles on it and the top started peeling off.

The second one broke into multiple pieces, all no bigger than about an inch, and I had to cut apart (using the teeth of some s#!tty needle nose pliers) what felt like 300 feet of Kevlar chord which was wrapped all around the hub of the secondary jamming it stuck open. I don't have a pic of that one.

I suspect the second one blew because I did not clean my clutches good enough after the first one blew. I kept seeing 9000 rpm before she went.

Since then, its been about 2000 miles but I now religiously dry air blast clean them every 500 miles. I know its getting dirty when the RPM's start climbing high. Its crazy how much dust comes out of there.

IMG_0806.JPG

Back