• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bogie and Idler wheel replacement

Panterawill

Extreme
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed a million times but I've read a ton of posts and need some part #'s.
First, my (new to me ) sled with only 2500 miles has orig bogie wheels with slight cracks on both. I need to replace them with solid replacements (aluminum??).
Should they be the same or oversized?
Secondly, does the replacement of the 6 original 130mm idler wheels with 135mm idler wheels SIGNIFACANTLY reduce hyfax wear? My idler wheels are in good shape, but the Hyfaxes are worn quite badly and the seller told me he replaced them at the end of last season.
I've spent too much money lately and am trying to keep costs down, but want to replace parts that I will benefit from down the road. I plan to keep this sled for a long time.
Part #'s and vendor links appreciated.
Will

Panterawill said:
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed a million times but I've read a ton of posts and need some part #'s.
First, my (new to me ) sled with only 2500 miles has orig bogie wheels with slight cracks on both. I need to replace them with solid replacements (aluminum??).
Should they be the same or oversized?
Secondly, does the replacement of the 6 original 130mm idler wheels with 135mm idler wheels SIGNIFACANTLY reduce hyfax wear? My idler wheels are in good shape, but the Hyfaxes are worn quite badly and the seller told me he replaced them at the end of last season.
I've spent too much money lately and am trying to keep costs down, but want to replace parts that I will benefit from down the road. I plan to keep this sled for a long time.
Will

Will, I replaced all mine with the newer Yamaha spoked wheels with replaceable bearings and so far so good.
My hyfax, like most, wear rather quickly but stop wearing when they get to a certain point but I do wish Yamaha would have made a slightly larger wheel.

A lot of info has been written about this issue and a lot of fixes are available including aftermarket over sized wheels, drop down kits, marginal snow kits etc so it basically boils down to what you want to use?

I also just purchased some ice sratchers off of Super Sled, they are the Hartman ski scratchers which I am sure will be a big help when the conditons are icy and/or hard packed.

Panterawill said:
Will

They will help, just note on the 2 inside wheels you need to remove about .04" from the wheel mount to keep the wheel in the middle of the track drivers. These have replacable bearings.
Wheels- 04-053-3 PRO IDLER WHEEL BLUE
Hyfax-553-610 YAMAHA RC UHMW HYFAX DK BLUE
https://www.shadetreepowersports.com/cg ... -home.html
I run a 2006 ER 121" track.

Attachments

• WP_000073.jpg
    WP_000073.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 716
I replaced mine with Yamaha tuning billet wheels. I like the looks of billet, and have always found the higher quality billet wheels spin more "true" than the plastic wheels.
IMG_0435-1.jpg

But is really all about preference. If you are really sold on the 135 mm wheels for hyfax wear, the Excel X wheels are awesome. Or Pioneer sells a kit to lower your wheels 2 mm to offset them lower, effectively operating just like a larger set of wheels.

What I think it really boils down to is what conditions you ride in. I typically ride in good snow conditions and use scratchers religiously. They really helpand I normally change my sliders every other season as preventative maintenance, and typically I could have used the sliders another couple of seasons -- they usually still have lots of meat. And now Yamaha has the new DuPont Vespal imbedded sliders that are supposed to last for 8,000++ miles, so i'm not sure slder wear is going to be a huge issue going forward.

But that being said, the 2011's seem to have worse slider wear issues than prior years. There are lots of theories for this and even more fixes to prevent the wear on these sleds. Personally, mine wear a bit at first, then stop wearing and last a long time, even with standard sized wheels. I also have a theory that larger wheels put too much stress on the rails, causing them to break, but don't get me started on that one, lol!

As indicated by Super Sled above if you are interested in oversized 135mm wheels the Excell wheels are great……I have them on my 2009 RTX and they outlasted the factory wheels 10 fold. I also noticed in the 2012 Royal Distributing Catalogue that they have released a 135mm wheel that is a direct replacement for Yamaha’s 130mm wheel and has the required 6005 bearing. Not sure how they last though??? Maybe someone else has experience with these???

Royal P/N 04-4135-20
$26.99 each Page 169

http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/i ... Number=169

Rd is out of stock. It's a Kimpex. Found it in their catalog and it's $30. Specifically says it's to help reduce slider wear. If you have a local Kimpex dealer, you can order it directly.

Which ice scratchers do you recommend?

Btw, I went with Pioneers modified idler wheel mounts for stock sized wheels.

Will

actionjack said:
Super Sled said:
I replaced mine with Yamaha tuning billet wheels. I like the looks of billet, and have always found the higher quality billet wheels spin more "true" than the plastic wheels.
IMG_0435-1.jpg

DAMN That looks nice

X2!

Panterawill said:
Which ice scratchers do you recommend?

Btw, I went with Pioneers modified idler wheel mounts for stock sized wheels.

Will

The standard issue Yamaha scratchers work just fine. I would avoid the flexible type scratchers that are designed not to break/bend when in reverse, since they don’t seem to put enough pressure on the snow to be effective when trail riding.

This is the style I use: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/produ ... etail.aspx

This video shows how rail mounted scratchers work (not too well) and also an el-cheapo redneck way to mount a bolt on the ski as a scratcher. Looks like it works great. So much so that it makes a blizzard for the guy following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0lj3wNHDw

Back