• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boost Leak Tester, Canadian version, Pay-It-Forward

Beerman

I can actually hear myself getting fatter
Website
www.loyalshepherd.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder LTX-SE
YOUTUBE
arttyszka
THIS THREAD IS FOR CANADIAN TY'ers only - if you're in the U.S. please see this thread https://ty4stroke.com/threads/boost-leak-tester-free-pay-it-forward.150055/#post-1387884

Hey guys, there has been a lot of interest and how-to questions on the boost leak tester I built based on TD Ben's original thread of how to test for a leak and then my follow ups with my home-made tester. I've answered many PMs and continue to get more. In the hopes of helping fellow TY'ers the way I have benefited from the invaluable advice and knowledge of NOS-Pro, Shagman, KRM, RockerDan, sj, Ben, Dave and others (including the sage, life-wisdom of my mentor, stevewithOCD) - I thought it time to Pay It Forward.

Building one of these is pretty easy - believe me, I'm a crappy fabricator - but it costs about $40 and takes an hour of walking around Home Depot thinking about the parts, an order on Amazon, another trip to Home Depot for what you forgot the first time, a trip to Napa, all the drive time, and then 20 mins to assemble once back home.

So, here's my offer to Pay It Forward
Anyone that wants to use the boost-leak tester I built is absolutely welcome to do so, completely free of charge - and you'll even get it shipped to you for free - with one catch. By signing up below you agree to receive it, test pretty quickly (don't let it sit on your work bench for a week before you get to it) and then ship it priority to the next guy on the list.

The list will work as such (because I am the King of the Nerds and I say so)
  1. Post below that you want it next.
    • "Dibs" would be an appropriate post, so would "I'm #6", you get the idea, be creative.
    • Let's try to keep the rest off this thread pretty clean without a lot of other posts about the actual test, we already have a thread for that.
  2. Once you receive it, update your post (edit your original, don't make a new one) that you got it. Do your test, sit back and celebrate the fact that you have no leaks with a really nice beer. If you have a leak, drown your sorrows in a really nice beer and fix what you need to.
  3. Once you're done - PM the next guy on the list, get his real name and mailing address, go to the post office and ship it along.
  4. Include a nice note and maybe a picture from your last family vacation.
  5. Ignore step 4, that was a stupid idea.
  6. The next guy on the list - See step 2.
A quick turn around by you will enable as many guys to test before the season is really in full swing. I originally thought this was a good idea for guys running a lot of boost, now I believe it's an essential test for anyone that wants to make sure they don't have a power-robbing leak even on a stock Sidewinder.

For an instructional how-to, watch Ben's original video and my 2 follow-ups. DO NOT turn your ECU on as Ben warns. The tester connects to your charge tube in place of the turbo, so disconnect the charge tube at the turbo, put the tester in the charge tube before the intercooler, connect your air compressor to the blow tip (YOU NEED AN AIR COMPRESSOR) pressurize to 10 psi as a start - and test away.

Do something Christian as a PIF elsewhere. Hold the door for a stranger, be kind to a dick, say hello and smile to someone who looks like they need it, become a VIP member here or send Mr Sled $5 as a donation, tell your wife she's "curvy, and I like curves, not those size 4 models" even though it's a lie, something.

Your's truly with arctic wishes and a butt-load (look it up) of snow,
Beerman

THIS THREAD IS FOR CANADIAN TY'ers only - if you're in the U.S. please see this thread https://ty4stroke.com/threads/boost-leak-tester-free-pay-it-forward.150055/#post-1387884

Last edited:

Number 2!!

Great idea and beautifully written thread! Will enjoy several beers regardless of results!

Just thought id throw this out there....

I have to head to cottage tomorrow, and Im done with tester....I run from Niagara to Huntsville(Muskoka). Most of you know that means Niagara, St Catharines, Hamilton,Toronto(GTA),Barrie, Orillia.... Hwy QEW,403,401,400,11. I am throwing this out there as I could simply bring tester with me if any of you are on that route or willing to meet me on my way, OR are near Muskoka on Sat eve or Sunday.

If not, I will leave it home and it will go to next US TYer on the list in other thread. I will have to clear this idea with Art but it seems to make most sense if someone is within my route.

Try to PM me as well as post here, just incase I dont get in here before I leave in AM tomorrow.

Dan

Just thought id throw this out there....

I have to head to cottage tomorrow, and Im done with tester....I run from Niagara to Huntsville(Muskoka). Most of you know that means Niagara, St Catharines, Hamilton,Toronto(GTA),Barrie, Orillia.... Hwy QEW,403,401,400,11. I am throwing this out there as I could simply bring tester with me if any of you are on that route or willing to meet me on my way, OR are near Muskoka on Sat eve or Sunday.

If not, I will leave it home and it will go to next US TYer on the list in other thread. I will have to clear this idea with Art but it seems to make most sense if someone is within my route.

Try to PM me as well as post here, just incase I dont get in here before I leave in AM tomorrow.

Dan
I don't follow why you would send it to "the next inline on the US list?"

This is just the Canadian guys. The first is in Saskatchewan I think, so we'll start there with saskattakman. I'll send it out on Monday.

This is just the Canadian guys. The first is in Saskatchewan I think, so we'll start there with saskattakman. I'll send it out on Monday.
That's what I was trying to get across to Dan, this is the Canadian one and he's talking about sending it to the next inline in the "US". That's all...

Back