• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BOV sounds

nytrozula

Expert
I recently changed my BOV spring. Before I changed the spring I used to hear a Swooshing sound when I would let off the throttle. After changing the spring I now hear a fluttering sound, kinda like the sound you hear when you act like a machine gun. Does this mean the spring is too tight? Too loose? Is this something that can be fixed with the adjustment on top of the BOV?

That would be a stiffer spring if its making the flutting sound

Yepp, sounds like you put in a stiffer spring.
Here is what mine sounded like before I changed to a softer spring..

This one flutters a bit too...

Sounds like you have a stiffer spring not allowing the valve to open long enough.

Melmaq that what mine sounds like I have a Synapse BOV . Being it sounds like that my question is . Is it wrong to have the flutter sound and will it harm anything

Last edited:
Melmaq that what mine sounds like I have a Synapse BOV . Being it sounds like that my question is . Is it wrong to have the flutter sound and will it harm anything
I've understood it to be a "bad" thing, since the sound originates from the turbo when compressed air hits the closed throttle bodies and is forcing the spooled up turbo to stop spinning.
This reduces the responsiveness and quickness of the system, increasing the perceived throttle response time.

.. . at least, thats how I've come to understand it..
. . the downside is still not clear to me.. the spring Im using now is way softer then the original MCX 240 BOV spring that I used when the video was made..

I've understood it to be a "bad" thing, since the sound originates from the turbo when compressed air hits the closed throttle bodies and is forcing the spooled up turbo to stop spinning.
This reduces the responsiveness and quickness of the system, increasing the perceived throttle response time.

.. . at least, thats how I've come to understand it..
. . the downside is still not clear to me.. the spring Im using now is way softer then the original MCX 240 BOV spring that I used when the video was made..

How would you stop spinning a super charger???? :dunno::dunno:

How would you stop spinning a super charger???? :dunno::dunno:

With one of these I guess?;)
hammer-1.jpg

And with that said, I must admit, I did fail to read the part in nytrozula's signature where it said MPI SC.
But thanks for not being an #*$&@ about it. Now that you are here can you shed some light on the thesis that
I presented earlier?

The scenario that applies to a conventional turbo system, and perhaps not the SC.
And perhaps answer the question, is it bad for the turbo/the riders experience ?

Not trying to steal the thread but why does my turbo viper not sound like it has a blow off valve at all is there away to make it louder it's the mcx 190hp kit

When my boost was 5 to 7lbs I didn't hear the BOV .But my system had issues the plantum was leakin around the Throttle body's badly actually blowing it off at times .But after repairing that , on the first ride the gauge was reading 20lbs and the bov was sounding like u want LOL but not good for a head shimmed Apex . After setting my waste gate and boost controller I now am at 12lbs at 10300 rpms and the BOV sounds cool like u want . Long story short ,,, I would check your boost tubing and plentum for leaks because with a small leak your turbo probably will still make boost but will not hold it when ya let off .

Back