• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Break In

Rufer19

So I went and treated myself to a new Nytro MTX 153. I haven't picked it up yet but I was wondering how or what is the best way to break in this new machine? I did a search for it but couldn't find much info on it. Is there any special ways of doing it? Anything to be watching for? Should I check the spark plugs after so many miles? Thanks.

towerrigger said:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is what I usually follow.

So with this break in method. Have you been able to compare your sled against a slow break in sled, performance wise? Identical sleds of course. ;)!

towerrigger said:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is what I usually follow.

After reading this artical, I don't even want to start my new sled and drive it onto the trailer and off the trailer and into my garage. I should leave the sled at the dealers untill there snow and ride it home. It's got me thinking :o|

I haven't done a side by side comparo. I have had several bikes that I broke in by the book and babied them. The ones that I broke in the Motoman way seemed to run better to me. Just my two cents.

I think Yamaha says no WOT for first 500 miles then change the oil and go. It is a little hard to ride a powder sled at 1/2 throttle though.

sonds,

I rode mine like I stole it. I break me race car engine in the same way. I get it used to doing what it will be doing for its entire life. WOT all the time!!!!

So I am thinking I have already messed my motor up then if this artical is correct. When I bought it and got it home I started it to drive it off my trailer, then had to burp it around the house a few times in the grass.

Hopefully I dont need to change the piston and rings already. :o|

I think I have run all my sleds this way, then the first ride actually ride it like I stole it.

yeah, you guys are forgetting one of the technologies that Yamaha has brought to the table...

the first through 10th times you turn the key it goes through a process to break in the sled...

on the 11th key turn, the chip burns out...

So, the system takes care of itself, you dont have to do anything different...Just WOT....

obviously kidding about the 1-10th...

anyone telling you that there is a long break in period...it not accustomed to the last 50 years development in machining etc.

get on ride it like you stole it...

Come on now Sonds - I was there. After a couple minute warm idol, i was busy adding oil to the mustard bucket - I hear the bellow of the pipe, look over and you are 5 feet off the ground exiting the parking lot stage left nestling yourself into a fresh bed of powder. Good thing Lenny wasn’t there - he would have thought you were all drunked up!!! Way more like 5 feet of distance compared to 500ft of track rotation making for well fitted rings.

most of us over 500 miles on our Nytros, can pic that magic moment when the engine started to wake up...for me I noticed an up tick at about 300 miles, and then again at abotu 550 miles...

Seriously, I would not stress the break in...

Well thanks guys for your opinions. I am hopefully going to be picking it up today. I am coming off a 08 TNT. So hopefully it will be a change for the better. Just out of curiousity what does it say in the manual for break in?

Back