• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carbide types and health

ATV PRO #11

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Phazer XTX
I was wondering as my new one had nothing left already. Both done. Wasn't even 1000 Kms on machine when I noticed both sides were pooched. So it leads to a couple questions. Is there somewhere on site that lists the dos and donts with regards to them. It would be obvious not to ride on pavement for long periods but say when you have to fuel up or backing into the shop at the end of the day.
Having said that, I do a lot of ditch banging, cross a lot of roads ect. I like a lot of pressure on skis , usually by adjusting skid, and back into the shop after every ride.
Would anyone have suggestions with where to purchase my next set. Reccomendation on what length inside/outside carbide length?
I've read online that stocks Yamaha are no good. Have to say I can agree with that on the newer tuner skis.
I'm only my 4th season in sledding. May seem like a silly question to most but really, how bad is even just crossing one road to the health of your carbides???

The amount of carbide Yamaha provides stock is a joke...1000 miles on them is 999 miles too much.

Bergstrom does make a durable carbide, yet pretty pricey. Plus, since you can only order them from the States, it will take a few weeks to get to your door.

I've always have good luck with Studboy carbides over Woody's. If you have studs in your track, go with at least 6 inch carbides, else, 4 inches is plenty. A couple of Canadian Distributors I use are Royal Distributing and Sled Werx Racing. Royal ships items for free and is quite fast to your door.

Snowtrackers worked well on my Arrow skis (similar to Tuners)....until I hit that unmarked rail line.:o|

Your Yammy Dealer can order them too.

Thanks gents. So scraping across roads slowly shouldnt really do damage that quick?

I thought maybe they weren't even installed at dealership because even when I brought home it didn't scratch garage floor backing in where my old sled did. I was really dissapointed when I noticed that. The wife was out helping me throw he slid back in the 07 and said that's pretty sad for the price you pay for new ones those are worn out(carbides) that has play like your old one (steering) tie rod boots both broken, headlight top mount broken ect ect. At the end of the day, it is pretty sad how many little things add up. Carbides on my old 07 are better than my new sled.

Snowtrackers work well. Over 5000 miles on mine is there is lots of life still left in them.
Well reading up on these I think I'm going to pull the trigger in the morning. How do you find the "u correctors" hold up in our sometimes low snow or ditch runs?

Anyone here have these with the new tuner skis???

Back