• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain and gears question

The way that the formula works is that it is calculating links, without knowing what a link is in length. So the .19 or .69 is a percentage of a link. In the case of .19 it is nearly 20% of the length of a link. You may want to look at an alternative gear set to get to the same ratio.

@jtmetal I created a spreadsheet with a gear ratio calculator which includes both chain forecasts and alternate gearset calculation (and top speed, and a bunch of other little things) if you are interested, I can send it to you.

@jtmetal I created a spreadsheet with a gear ratio calculator which includes both chain forecasts and alternate gearset calculation (and top speed, and a bunch of other little things) if you are interested, I can send it to you.
Absolutely....

Absolutely....

Here is a link to the spreadsheet.

It has a lot of my notes and such which you may or may not find useful, IOW it has a lot of stuff you didn't ask for :cool: but I am too lazy to edit it out. I tried to remove all of the content which is my private engineering content but left everything that is public knowledge. If something doesn't work or looks broken, let me know. The entire workbook follows a specific color scheme/format. Anything in light blue is EITHER a number you can directly edit or a number that is part of a drop down menu. I tried to label all of the dropdowns but sometimes I miss labeling some because I know how the formulas work. It should, at the end of the day, be a useful source of data, I refer to it often. The link is read only, I believe this means you can download it but not change the one that is there, if you run into problems let me know.

If it tries to load in excel on the web, you can just go to the file menu and choose "Save As" and keep your own copy.

Chains only come in even number links, (88,90,92 for example). I’ve found that you want to be as close to possible to an even number as possible.

So say u have a 88 link chain you ideally would want to be between 87 and 88 and closer to 88 the better. 86.1 to 87 would be a significant dog leg on a 88 chain

Let me lay it all out for you....
A viper guy (7.62 @ 182.5 on asphalt) approached me on the internet. He claims that switching out to a 24t top gear and 41t bottom works on stock 86 pin chain. I'm assuming the chain is stretched a bit, (which mine is) as the formula comes out to 86.69.
24t gear is available as a DMC piece.
Steve (ClutchMaster) backed up his claims of manageable acceleration from the dig and explosive top end. But stated I would need to switch to a 88pin chain.
Either way, as explain by earthling & NYturbo.....it's really not the best case scenario.
Yet both Steve & Dan claim zero issues with multiple buds running the same set-up.

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if u can get a 86 chain around a 24/41 combo

Yes that's a tall gear for trail riding though IMO. Very close to 22/37. All depends on what you are trying achieve.
Good grip, out of the hole on various snow covered surfaces. Great acceleration to 125mph.
Trail riding, very non aggressive. I putz around and don't care much about back shifting and coming hard off the corners.
I ride like an old gentleman without a care world. To be honest.

24/41 is a bit much for that in my opinion.
Yes.....seems to be divided on this. Some experienced with this combo 24/41 claim its the holy grail of gear selection. Lol. idk?!?!
Vipers with 200hp running in the 130's top speed. 134mph to be specific.
I will give it a go, as I have the 24t on its way. ill clutch accordingly. If things don't work out, Maybe I can still utilize the 24t in another combo.
I was extremely disappointed with last year's results. I know conditions where I was, were a nightmare. Case in point, St. Germain's radar runs (pretty big event) were shut down and Ben's Camp was reduced to 660'
ill run it, like it is now. But will be prepared to switch things up as needed.

Last edited:

Back