• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Case Oil Level - STD or REV?

Bigmax

Veteran
Website
www.wilsonshome.com
Where is everyone running their chain case oil level on the Apex/Attack with reverse? I drained mine out when I changed it before checking where it was at and there seems to be some discrepancies as to which level to fill to. The REV only has about 1/8" on the stick which seems very low and I don't want to have any problems.

Thanks,

Chad

What's that 250 ml work out to in ounces for us non-conformists... LOL

Anybody else? I know when I started to fill I was used to my SRX that takes ~7-8 oz and I put some in and then checked it and ended up having to drain a whole bunch out. Just want to make sure I run it where it's supposed to be.

And on a side note... if they're supposed to fill it to the STD mark... why would they even put the REV mark on the stick?

Bigmax said:
What's that 250 ml work out to in ounces for us non-conformists... LOL

Anybody else? I know when I started to fill I was used to my SRX that takes ~7-8 oz and I put some in and then checked it and ended up having to drain a whole bunch out. Just want to make sure I run it where it's supposed to be.

And on a side note... if they're supposed to fill it to the STD mark... why would they even put the REV mark on the stick?

8.5 oz . Regardless of what the dip will read, thats the amount that should be in there. Will probably read half the STD.

put it to STANDARD mark....not sure why ANYONE would do less when there have been SOME cases going down...higher level has ZERO ill effect....running over 2000 miles now with full synth at standard mark.

Dan

I run the amount the Yamaha shop manual calls for 250mL.

On a drain and refill this will put you to the bottom of the standard marks (low).

On a completely dry case, gears and chain this will put you slightly above the full on the reverse marks.

IMO, anywhere between a hair over full on the reverse marks to low on the standard marks is ideal (even though the perfectionist in me hates not filling it to a "full line").

When you check it, either check it after about a minute of sitting while filling it up or after the sled has been driven a lot to fully warm up the case and then parked for several minutes to make sure the excess drains off the chain.

If you take it for a short spin and then check it, it will always read very low (lots of thick oil clinging to the chain).

Thank guys! I'll probably be adding some since I think it's at or just over the REV line... still makes me think there's not much in there since it didn't seem like I put much in before I checked it and then drained a bunch out before getting it back down to the REV line.

Back