• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CHain case oil

Snorover

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Viper
I changed my chain case oil as someone said on here to put in 8.5 oz of oil.

Thats fine, if you don't have reverse, because thats the correct quanity for that.

If you have reverse, which all apex have, it only takes about half that amount. Don't have the exact amount because I had to drain the excess out.

My 07 RTX WITH reverse came filled to the Standard line and that's were I leave it. 4000 miles and no problems. Full synthetic and I opened up the grooves in the cap to help the venting, as per this site.

I think the general consensus is that you can fill to the std line regardless if you have reverse or not. I've kept mine at the standard line with full synthetic 75-90 with no issues.

I've always added 250ml use a measuring cup and just pour it in...for some reason you can't rely on the half @$$ dipstick YAM use, they ALL use 250ml or 8.5oz. once filled it should read at just above the lower STD mark +/-

oil level

The amount of oil needed for a apex with reverse is 160ml. I have been running this level in every apex I work on and my own since 06. Never any problems. One sled has 13400 kms of abuse. ;)!

Re: oil level

blurred vision said:
The amount of oil needed for a apex with reverse is 160ml. I have been running this level in every apex I work on and my own since 06. Never any problems. One sled has 13400 kms of abuse. ;)!

On your drive belt cover you have the info on how much oil is in your CHAINCASE here's a pic of it...250ml or 8.5 oz. this is of my '08 APEX L-TX and the same was written on my '05 RX1... ;)!

sled

What we did is measured the amount of oil to the full line for reverse and it is exaclty 160 ml. I think maybe the belt guard cover amount is for no reverse.

Re: sled

blurred vision said:
What we did is measured the amount of oil to the full line for reverse and it is exaclty 160 ml. I think maybe the belt guard cover amount is for no reverse.

Its on my 2008 APEX L-TX with REVERSE, I was told by 2 local dealers not to worry about the dipstick that YAMAHA wanted 250ml in ALL their chaincases...so i don't know who's right or wrong but I find that 160ml in this big of HP sled is not much compared to all other MFG averaging 355ml.

I guess if you had good success running with 160ml with no problems...keep on sleding... :-o

sled

I never thought of looking it up. I always figured if the line is their full it to the line. We have 5 supercharged sleds running 160 ml also. No problems yet. Now you got me thinking. I will get Tom at Irwins a five star dealer to contact his rep and find out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

"blurred vision" Let me know the outcome...the 1st time I changed my chaincase oil in my '05 RX1-ER I phoned Tom to get the correct amount and he looked it up and gave me 250ml...

When I picked up my "brand new" APEX L-TX sled last fall the 1st thing I did is check the chaincase oil and it was filled to the lower "STD" mark on the dipstick right from the factory...

P.S. stop posting PIC'S of your SLED...your giving the URGE!!! ;):D :o|

Back