• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

chain case oil?

My Yamaha gear lube came in a 1 Liter bottle, I hope it doesn't take a liter because less than .5 Liter came out...

sleddheadd said:
You are not seriously recomending a marine lube for a snowmobile are you?

Sure, why not, or are you just surprised at the Amsoil comment?

I have read of people using ATF, regular car oil so tell me how Amsoil Marine gear oil would be a bad thing?

It is synthetic and is still useful/protective with over 10% water infiltration, not that that is going to happen with a chain case but I would bet it is far superior to ATF or car oil.

Irv said:
sleddheadd said:

I have read of people using ATF, regular car oil so tell me how Amsoil Marine gear oil would be a bad thing?

It is synthetic and is still useful/protective with over 10% water infiltration, not that that is going to happen with a chain case but I would bet it is far superior to ATF or car oil.
Well, if you put it that way it is better than putting ATF in your chaincase. the great thing about Any synthetic oil is the ability to build the oil for the specific application. The Marine lube will work in your chain case but it is not designed for your chaincase. there is only so much room in each formula to help design the specifics. The marine lube has more water protection addative for obvious reasons. The chaincase lube has more cold weather flowability, for obvious reasons. I would rather have the oil flowing when the sled starts moving not after the oil decides to warm up.
It doesn't really matter what brand you use but the important thing is to make sure that you are using the proper formulation for the proper application!

sleddheadd said:
Irv said:
sleddheadd said:

Well, if you put it that way it is better than putting ATF in your chaincase. the great thing about Any synthetic oil is the ability to build the oil for the specific application. The Marine lube will work in your chain case but it is not designed for your chaincase. there is only so much room in each formula to help design the specifics. The marine lube has more water protection addative for obvious reasons. The chaincase lube has more cold weather flowability, for obvious reasons. I would rather have the oil flowing when the sled starts moving not after the oil decides to warm up.
It doesn't really matter what brand you use but the important thing is to make sure that you are using the proper formulation for the proper application!
Not disagreeing with what you are saying but Amsoil recommends or states it is excellent for use in atv applications,(below) which I would assume means in the differentials?
After reading that I assumed it should be good to run in the chaincase on my sled as obviouly an atv is not a boat, (but is prone to water inflitration, depending on how you ride?)

I also read on the back of the bottle where it states
" Amsoil Marine gear lube is recommended for fresh and salt water applications requiring either a 75W-90 or 80W-90 gear lube meeting API GL-4 or GL-5 performance standards"

Is the GL-4 or GL-5 standard different in water applications than it is in Automotive applications?
I know some use practically anything and some swear or even get mad if one uses anything other than true "Chain case lube!"
I have been using "Gear lubes" for years and have never had issues, my chain and sprockets are always in excellent shape and are usually pretty clean as well.

The only thing that does concern me, is the cold flowability of the Marine gear lube?
It is thinner than most gear lubes I have ever used but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to flow better when it is cold out?

I am going to have to try and experiment this winter just to see which flows better in the cold, Amsoil Marine, Amsoil Severe Gear or Mobil-1 75W-90 gear lube?
My gut tells me the Marine gear lube as it is the thinnest of the 3?

Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube Product Code: AGMTB-EA

True marine gear performance. Provides superior protection from shock loading. Resists foam and retains extreme-pressure qualities even when subjected to 10% water contamination. For use in outboard lower units, sterndrives, V-drives, bow and tunnel thrusters and marine transmissions Excellent for use in ATVs.

Sledheadd, anymore thoughts/info on my post above?
Curious about the GL-4-5 ratings.

Thanks.

Irv said:

Thanks.
There is no difference in the GL-4-5 ratings and you hit it on the head with the cold flowability. That is the only difference. That fluid will work and can be used in a chaincase. I would not recommend it for our application but it will work.
Thee is so much information to be told but not enough space or time to type it all. I like to consider myself knowledgable on the subject but by no means do I know everything. I suppose the most important thing is to have a lubricating fluid in your chaincase.
There are so many threads and discussions on TY about lubrication and which one is best. Some have even turned into arguments and it can be hard to determine who knows what they are talking about and who is copying information from other websites and pretending to know what they are talking about. I guess the important thing is to use your best judgement and make wise decisions through careful research. In the end whatever you choose to run in your machine will be good for it as long as you meet the manufacturer specs. Ther is no difference in synthetic base stocks from Amsoil to Mobil, Yamalube, klotz, royal purple, It is all the same but it is how the end product is engineered that makes the difference. Heck you could run just a flat out synthetic base stock and it would be better than Dino lube.

sleddheadd said:
Irv said:

Thanks.
There is no difference in the GL-4-5 ratings and you hit it on the head with the cold flowability. That is the only difference. That fluid will work and can be used in a chaincase. I would not recommend it for our application but it will work.
Thee is so much information to be told but not enough space or time to type it all. I like to consider myself knowledgable on the subject but by no means do I know everything. I suppose the most important thing is to have a lubricating fluid in your chaincase.
There are so many threads and discussions on TY about lubrication and which one is best. Some have even turned into arguments and it can be hard to determine who knows what they are talking about and who is copying information from other websites and pretending to know what they are talking about. I guess the important thing is to use your best judgement and make wise decisions through careful research. In the end whatever you choose to run in your machine will be good for it as long as you meet the manufacturer specs. Ther is no difference in synthetic base stocks from Amsoil to Mobil, Yamalube, klotz, royal purple, It is all the same but it is how the end product is engineered that makes the difference. Heck you could run just a flat out synthetic base stock and it would be better than Dino lube.

Thanks for the reply Sleddheadd, the only reason I considered it, besides having a few bottles kicking around, was because it is so thin or liquidy(not a word, I know!)
Plus the fact it meets the GL-4-5 rating, and is suggested by Amsoil to be used in atv's, which in my mind, means/meant it would be good to run in my chain case on my sled?

Like I said earlier, I guess some experimentation is in order to see it's flow characteristics when it is cold out? Once I do that I will determine what I am going to run this coming winter? Mobil-1 syn 75-90(which I have ran for years) Amsoil Severe gear or Amsoil Marine?
I will be sure to let you know which one flows the best when it's -20 out.
Thanks the info and replies ;)!

Irv, I'm thinking that if you are anywhere north of Sault Ste. Marie, tonight, damn cold, will be that night you have been waiting for, to give it a pour. I suspect the difference will be miniscule. If it's clean, it's going to work. I've been using Castrol syn 75-90 for 5 years with no ill effects, it is a GL-5. A friend just dropped off 1/2 of a 5 gal. pail of Mobil 1 syn 75-90 that he has no use for, it is a GL-5 also. I plan on using that. Do they even make GL-3 gear oil anymore?

I've been using Amsoil 75-90 gear oil for years with many thousands of km on my sleds and never had a problem with any of my chain cases...

Back