• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase breather/vent tube ?

THEPASMAN

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
how free flowing should the breather tube be on these chaincases.
How much pressure would build up in the case.
And if it we’re restricted what would be the point of leakage.

I would think the tube would be fully vented allwoing air to free flow.
If it got plugged and pressure built up the seal would be the weak link.

Not sure how all this would happen though.
ms

Self induced
When I was changing out bearing this fall the upper chaincase bearing I got had seals on both sides popped the inner one out left the one on the seal side in thinking it would be double protected not realizing that I eliminated the breather. Been chasing leaks ever since not sure where it leaked from. I now know why. have it apart right now it must of built up pressure and leaked out the gasket on the cover
Breather tube would take air from a compressor but would not release it.
Pretty good at getting into the case now.
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Live and learn I guess

Thanks for the reply

Self induced
When I was changing out bearing this fall the upper chaincase bearing I got had seals on both sides popped the inner one out left the one on the seal side in thinking it would be double protected not realizing that I eliminated the breather. Been chasing leaks ever since not sure where it leaked from. I now know why. have it apart right now it must of built up pressure and leaked out the gasket on the cover
Breather tube would take air from a compressor but would not release it.
Pretty good at getting into the case now.
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Live and learn I guess

Thanks for the reply

I almost did the same thing. I wanted to install 2 seals. Then I saw the small hole just to the inside of the original and had to investigate where it went to. Once I realized what it was for, I also realized that I couldn't use 2 seals for this exact reason.

I chased it for a month it only leaked out if ridden for long periods between stops. With the reverse actuator out you could blow air into case and hear it come out. This last time I pressured up the case to 35 psi all sealed up. No leaks must have needed to be warmed up, but when I started to disassemble the air escaped on the first case bolt. All good now. Even ordered complete chaincase should be here Friday. The thread on“cracked chain case”drove me nuts looking for cracks

Glad that’s behind me kinda humbling to

Back