• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase tab crack - replace or seal and run?

snowfever27

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Arctic Cat XF7000
2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX (sold)
2007 Yamaha Phazer FX (sold)
2005 Ski-Doo MZX 800 Adrenaline (sold)
2003 Arctic Cat F7 EFI (sold)
2007 Yamaha Attack
2009 Polaris 600 Dragon SP
It was barely seeping when I pulled it off. My sled has 2,500 miles and it never really leaked. Looking for opinions on if I should seal the crack or replace the cover. I’m leaning towards sealing it and being easy screwing that tab back in. It’s one of the side tabs half way up the exhaust side. I tried to bend the tab with both thumbs and it doesn’t even flex.

Attachments

• A11CBE94-2535-4B18-8A19-12B4EDFA1E85.jpeg
    A11CBE94-2535-4B18-8A19-12B4EDFA1E85.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 222
  • FC39810F-7F18-4295-80D3-F3B66ACC9EC9.jpeg
    FC39810F-7F18-4295-80D3-F3B66ACC9EC9.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 264

I would say replace it. If you always ride local and your usually with a group then a catastrophic break-down wont be as much of a problem as it could be. If it does start to leak and you don't see it in-time you could cause yourself a lot more trouble that it is worth. It may never be an issue but to know it is cracked and to not replace it could cost you later. If I have to tow someone home with a broken chain-case and it was unavoidable, its just part of what you do. If you knew the case was cracked before the season started that might piss your riding buddy off a little.

Cannondale is right, "if its not leaking".
"barely seeping" could turn into leaking. Got time? Fix it.

I would say replace it. If you always ride local and your usually with a group then a catastrophic break-down wont be as much of a problem as it could be. If it does start to leak and you don't see it in-time you could cause yourself a lot more trouble that it is worth. It may never be an issue but to know it is cracked and to not replace it could cost you later. If I have to tow someone home with a broken chain-case and it was unavoidable, its just part of what you do. If you knew the case was cracked before the season started that might piss your riding buddy off a little.

Cannondale is right, "if its not leaking".
"barely seeping" could turn into leaking. Got time? Fix it.
Thats true. In that case it looks like that is the thin tab original case. New one will have thicker tabs. Less likely to happen.

If you don't want to replace it this season just fab up a custom made washer or small plate that reaches out past the crack. That will keep it from leaking. Remember, Those bolts don't need to be super tight just gently make both surfaces touch and that's it. A small drop of blue loctight to keep it from backing out.

I would go insane thinking about that every time i went out, The season is too short to suffer a major failure. Mitigate your risk and replace it is my thought.

I called my dealer and they were closed for the weekend / Thanksgiving Holliday. I sealed the crack and put it back it. I was gentle on that bolt. Seems good. I will order a new one Monday, $215, and when I have time I’ll will replace the cracked one. I feel like that’s a decent compromise. I’m also going to see if they will replace the cracked one. I’ve never been into the chaincase before. It was cracked from the factory. I doubt they’ll replace it because it’s a 2015. But I’ll try, see what they say.

I agree. I sealed the crack, used the new updated seal, and just torqued it down to 7-8ft/lbs. I’ll get a new cover, but if it doesn’t leak, I probably won’t replace the old cover until next year when I check the chaincase and change the motor oil. I wire brushed all the bolts and used a tap to clean out all the threads. Everything went together well.

Back