• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CHECK YOUR A-ARMS!

sandy8657

Pro
I have a 2006 Apex GT with less than 1,000 miles.
Late last season, I noticed that the ice had apparently gotten between the factory front shock covers and the upper left A-Arm and had worn out the fabric on the shock covers. Upon further examination, (with the shock cover removed ) I noticed that the black coil spring on the shock had been rubbing against the back part of the upper A-Arm. The sled has never received any type of impact to cause the A-Arms to either stress or bend. I did discover that the bolt that holds the lower A-Arm to the left ski spindle was loose from the dealership. I'm wondering if the loose bolt from the time that the dealership assembled the sled right out of the crate, might have caused this condition. It should be a warranty problem, since I believe it was caused by bad dealer preparation and assembly. Check your shocks....my right side clears the A-Arms, but the left side has been rubbing...Any body else have a similar problem?

Prepare yourself to be laughed at by Yamaha. They're not going to cover it under warranty and if anything is bent/broken then you DID hit something... no matter what your side of the story is.

OK... I'll get off my "rant box" now....

Apparently the A-Arms are already assembled on the machine and the spindles are secured to the crate. If the crate was dropped hard enough, could the weight of the sled have done any damage to the a-arms or the spindle?
...curious minds just want their sled fixed.

My former brother-in-law was a Yamaha dealer in the mid 70's to early 80's. You can always write up warranty work for one sled on another sled, been there, done that. Dealers worked "favors" for some of their better customers, We've probably bought 10-15 units from them during the last 5 years!
Other wise, we'll just buy an upper arm and lower arm and a couple new bolts, and do it ourself in the garage. I'd be happy just getting the parts at a good price.

Well to stand up for the complaint here, I have personally seen this sled, it looks better then the day it came from the factory. There is not a mark on this sled, nor has it been abused in any way. After looking at the bolts into the spindles, the bottom one was backed out. there is no question about it, caused the bolt to bend in two places, and now needs to be cut out. With that bolt loose, it allowed the arm to twist and move back, causing the shock to rub on the top arm. There is no damage, or impact on this sled. As far as Yamaha covering it, maybe... (from the dealer) but the comments about HITTING something, that's a typical assumption. This sled has not been beat in any way. Just figured i would stand up and add some information to the situation. Moral of the story... check your sled. These bolts don't loosen up by themselves. Go try to take one off and see how easy it is. Ok, I'm done

At first Yamaha wanted to split the cost of the repairs 50/50, but then Yamaha agreed to replace all of the parts free of charge, but I have to pay for 3 hours of shop rate labor. It's still cheaper than if I had to pay for the materials out of my pocket ( close to $500.00) This way the labor should be under $200. Still don't know what caused them to bend, I know I didn't hit anything.

Back