• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Checking Coolant

NewApexGT2006

Have a question about my new Apex. Looking for the proper way to check the coolant. I followed the manual but am confused because I see what looks like 2 coolant res. Is the smaller one some type of overflow?

Sorry for the dumb ?

The larger containt is full to the top line but the smaller looks like it doesn't have much of anything.

Coolant tank level

The coolant tank closest to the center of the sled is a "recovery" tank and it does have a COLD LEVEL line molded on it on it which is hard to see without the headlight /gauge pod removed.

I took a permanent black marker and highlighted the line so I could easliy check this level with just removing the panel between the steering post and gauges.

Dealer told me you can see the tank by removing the clutch side cover and looking across. Haven't tried it yet. Black line might help. How easy is it to remove the top panel, key and all?

It's not hard to remove the top panel but it does take 5 minutes to do it. You can see the coolant level if you take the clutch side panel off but you have to remove the top cover to add coolant. If your coolant level is low keep adding water to the resevior. The mixture is a little antifreeze heavy from the factory.

Removing the key is easy (the switch will drop in once you remove the
nut) but what about the accessory plug? How is that removed since there is no obvious nut around it? I can see my tank from the clutch side but wondered what you do to cleanly remove the accessory plug.

daveh

Do not remove the key switch or acc. plug from the panel! All you need to do is loosen the 1/4 turn fasteners and carefully lift it up and back to remove the panel, then unplug the wire connector plugs for the switch & plug.

Hope that helps you out.

Yee Haa. Seems I remember Allen U. saying that as well. Thanks for reiterating.

Saw the yelllow overheating light 3 times in 4 days of subzero C temps. Each time it went out after getting into some powder.

Pardon my ignorance but can I just drain a certain amount of the factory mix and add water or some other product? How, how much, and where?

Thanks
Jack

I pulled off the front lower hose at the bottom, drained out over a quart, the needle is still pegged on the reader after putting in a quart of distilled water and a few ounces of water wetter, my light stopped coming on.

Note if you do it the above way, you have got to get the hose back on quick because it floods out really fast.
I had the lower right panel removed and a bucket underneath (the lower panel is held on by large phillips screws, not the dzus)

When checking coolant does anyone know if you are suppose to top off the main tank and recovery tank?

My recovery looks empty or at least down to the very bottom. Main tank looks good.

Wow - surprised I stumped all of you on that question. Let's try another...

The top area of the recovery tank is held on by a bolt. What holds the bottom on? Mine appears to be loose where it can move around, Etc. Trying to determine if something cracked off or if I'm missing a bolt/part. Can someone check their recovery tank? (not the main tank but the smaller one...)

Back