• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

checking oil

andrew1984

Extreme
okay, this is a dumb question but i want to do it right.

do i check the oil level with the dipstick threaded all the way in?

or

with the dipstick resting down on the o-ring?

thanks

You are both incorrect, start the sled and let it warm up. Then pull out the dipstick, wipe it part way off, then just set the dipstick in there. DO NOT thread it in at all.

zoomer said:
You are both incorrect, start the sled and let it warm up. Then pull out the dipstick, wipe it part way off, then just set the dipstick in there. DO NOT thread it in at all.

The OP's question was very specific with regards to whether the dip stick should be screwed in or not when checking the oil level. How does that make my response to his question incorrect?

Why do you have to start it up and warm it up? When you shut it off after a ride it was warm, oil level does not change after that. Call me wrong if you want but I check mine after a ride or even the next day before one.

And yes stick not screwed in!

yeah the only reason i start and let it run and then check is when i change the oil. i allow the oil to get to the filter, but otherwise i check it standing still and stone cold. I know i dont start my truck and let it warm up to check the oil...

Dry sump vs wet sump is the reason

The reason you start it and let it warm up and then check it is because it has a dry sump system vs a wet sump on a car. If you check your oil level without warming up the engine it is very possible you will get a false level. Case in point - if I check my oil level on my AttakGT'S without having warmed up the oil it shows I am way over full. If I warm up the engine or check after a ride it is right on. Dry sumps are different than wet sumps. Best way to check a car oil is to let it sit over night and this is the worst way to check the level on a dry sump sled. That is why so many people over fill sleds and pwc's as they think it is like checking the oil on a car. It is not.

Re: Dry sump vs wet sump is the reason

LuvMyWarrior said:
The reason you start it and let it warm up and then check it is because it has a dry sump system vs a wet sump on a car. If you check your oil level without warming up the engine it is very possible you will get a false level. Case in point - if I check my oil level on my AttakGT'S without having warmed up the oil it shows I am way over full. If I warm up the engine or check after a ride it is right on. Dry sumps are different than wet sumps. Best way to check a car oil is to let it sit over night and this is the worst way to check the level on a dry sump sled. That is why so many people over fill sleds and pwc's as they think it is like checking the oil on a car. It is not.

You are correct it is a dry sump system. You can leave it sit over night no more oil will drain into or out of the tank, it will still read the same a week later. Plus if you start and do not completely warm the oil as in take it for a ride you leave more oil in the motor that does not make it back to the sump. The tank level is low so you add oil and then after you take it for a ride and check it the tank reads overfull.

There was huge long threads over this issue back in 05 when I bought my warrior. Check it after a ride or just before the next ride. Firing it up and waiting till the light goes out is not enough to warm the oil. Heck mine does not even warm the side exchangers till long after the light goes out.

I check mine like I check my car before I ride it. The level is the same then as when I check it after a long ride and it is warmed up. If I check the level after warming up for 10 15 minutes in the driveway it reads low. I ride it then check it it is at the correct level. This is when I like to check the level right after a ride!

I'll go out to the garage and check my oil in my sled it will be at the same level it was at yesterday and the same level is was at three days ago when I shut it off after a ride.

Bottom line is check the oil when the motor and oil is all up to operating temperature, best way to do this is after a ride. When the motor has just had the oil changed leave it down on the stick about halfway between full and add after the motor has been run if unsure. Ride it and check the oil after the ride with the dipstick unthreaded. Top off if needed. Works for me for 7 years now!

Back