• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clamshell Trailer Supports

Kevin

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
Has anyone made supports for a clamshell trailer lid for extra support when the lid is open?

Any pics would be great!

This is whats on mine don't think its factory?
20170530_071028.jpg
20170530_071110.jpg
20170530_071122.jpg

Mine is similar to that but a bit further to the rear. On the clam top there is a tapered head bolt going thru the rail with a nut inside. (the tapered head allows the lid to close better than a pan head) Where the prop pole meets the floor when the top is open I drilled a hole thru that aluminum side plate and stick a pin thru there to secure it when the top is up. My trailer is 12 foot so the top is darn heavy and actually installed a pole on each side. When I get ready to close the top I pull the pin and move the pole to it parallel position with the lid's rail. I have an aluminum L bracket screwed on the rail with a hole in it and the pole and I put the same pin thru it to hold it when it stowed. It works. If money was no object the clamshell trailer would be the first thing to go though.............

Mine is also 12'
Haven't decided on what I'm going to make yet
But these ideas are helping

My trailer is up north. I can take a couple pictures this weekend if you want. We learned the hard way to always use a pole. My son opened it one day and was working on the sled when a gust of wind came and grabbed the shell it came crashing down and twisted in doing so breaking the lift shock and a the welds in the front corner. That's when I added the second pole and always use them now. Next project before next season is likely to put a new axel on it.

My 2011 Karavan w/ Sled Dock top has aluminum slide bars that go over the strut so when you open it they go to the bottom and hold it from closing.
Kinda sucked since only thing actually keeping it up when closing is trying to keep it in a slight groove on the strut., I actually bent one when it fell back.
Replaced struts with heavier 200# ones and a zip tie holds the bar up, they're solid & not a pain in the #*$&@ anymore.

If you still need ideas lmk mine was super cheap and easy.. 20 bucks with a support system send me a pm if you would like pics

Back