• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Lube

mach9

TY 4 Stroke Master
Curious...?
In the name of keeping it stock but performing better.
Anyone using this Clutch lube?
Permatex Ultra Slick.
The Royal Distributing catalog shows and describes this on Page 330.
Says Synthetic with PTFE and good for CVT clutches.
And...
If you did use it, where should it never be applied?

Cheers

clutches need to be clean and DRY. Do not use lube. Only lube is a light film of grease on the internal bushings on the secondary clutch and a littly on the jack shaft. If you use any lube it will gum up the clutch and you will lose performance

I have not used the permatex brand but have used other oil based lubes with PTFE and found the oily film left behind tends to collect belt dust and gum up. I have been using NAPA silicone spray for several years it is not very expensive, cleans off the belt dust and dries to dry film that does not collect dust. I spray liberal amounts on the primary clutch rollers and cam arms also on the center bushing and the 6 plastic pads that slide against the moving halfof the shieve. on the secondary I spray the ramps and plastic buttons along with the center bushings. Be carefull not get any on the belt or surfaces that contact the belt.

Honestly, I've never used anything on any clutches on all the sleds I've owned over the years. In saying that I've always traded up to a new sled within decent time lines.
Just thought I'd ask? Maybe I was missing a clutch guru / racing secret, or something.

Definitely not claiming to be an expert in this area but moreso want to provide some insight to what I've been doing. Totally agree that the belt need to be free of lubricants on both clutches faces, but the other moving parts need to slide and move as free as possible. I've using Tri-Flow (very sparingly) to the rollers and main shafts of my clutches for a few years now. I haven't had any problems to date with my methods (again I say I use this very sparingly!). Given the small amount I use, I find myself re-lubing at the start of each day. I can't say I have any measurable gains to advertise but the clutches "feel" smother as a result of this effort.

I have always used silicone spray. I have never had a roller go bad stick or get a flat spot. I have also never had build up from it either.

My neighbor always runs his dry and had to have his rebuilt. Mine still look like new and I have more miles and I ride harder.

usafracer said:
I have always used silicone spray. I have never had a roller go bad stick or get a flat spot. I have also never had build up from it either.

My neighbor always runs his dry and had to have his rebuilt. Mine still look like new and I have more miles and I ride harder.

Makes good sense to me.
They spin so fast that any lube or dry lube or silicone etc. on all the outer mechanincal wearing parts would never get inside the sheeves or belt.

Yamaha clutch's are designed to run lube free. you can take it apart and clean it , but all the rollers and weight bushings do not need lube. I've read that some oil based lube's will actually eat at the bushings. :Rockon:

A long time it is dry film. Its not like I am dumping a bottle of oil on my clutches. I squirt a little on each roller and then roll it with my fingers to ensure it is worked inside and the outside has a nice even coat.

All of this is after I clean and inspect my clutches. I have over 6,000 miles on my RS and the clutch still looks like new.

I took it to Yamaha last year to get a new throttle cable installed. While it was there I had them look it over. The tech. could not believe I had never had the clutch rebuilt. When I told him what I have been doing he gave me the same "the clutch is dry if you lube it you are going to ruin it.

Turk said:
How long do you think any lube will stick at the clutches spinning at 8500 rpm?

You don't think it will stick? Then take some oil and dump it on the face of the clutch and take it for a ride. I bet your belt slips long after you hit 8500 RPM.

The oil sticks to the belt & slips. I have seen guys that have mis installed oil filters & blown oil all over the clutches. The clutch faces are dry as a bone but the belt is soaked. I kinda have some experience in this particular area of the sled.

Back