• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

clutch rattle

dburu2

VIP Member
My rtx with 2700 mls has a clutch rattle. I didn' notice it when I parked it for the season but I noticed it this fall when i got it out and took a trip in the yard. I seem to remember reading that its nomal with this engne clutch setup. doea anyone else hear it and is it a problem or normal? I only notice it at certain idling rpm. Thanks in advance.

Mine is too but i got 6k on it. If you grab ahold of the primary you can probably move it up and down a little. I believe that the outer bushing on mine is just getting worn out. pulling it off soon to check it all out

Mine rattles as well on a 2009 XTX w/ 265 miles on the clock. I removed the primary clutch and started it up, no rattle, only nice sounds coming from the engine. Its a shame the primary makes so much noise.

mj

I had a 05 vector with a real bad clutch rattle, they even had a recall on it but the noise never went away. So when i got my 08 nytro first thing i did was start it up and listen for a rattle, it had the same noise not really sure if there is anything that could be done to fix it. If you find a cure please let me know.

clutch

I dealt with this problem on my 08 vector ltx, I had one that had a large amount of play between the crankshaft and the stub shaft that the clutch bolts to, I had it to a yamaha dealer who had a service rep look at it, according to him, some of there venders that supply the cranks had changed the spline thickness between the crank and stub shaft, If u would grab onto clutch and rotate it left and right real fast u could actually here the splines clanking together, this was where all my noise was coming from,it would translate through the clutch causing the rattle, yamaha is well aware of this issue, but because of the 2 piece cranks and the harmonics of the 3 holer ,they said thats the way it is, mine happened to be one with excess amount of play ,ya me, When I took my clutch off and started it it was perfectly quiet, I even took a clutch off 2 of my buddies vectors 1 was a 05 and other a 06, there machines were way quieter than my 08 thats because in 08 and 09 the cranks were changed to that different supplier i was talking about earlier, I even put my clutch on their sleds and it hardly rattled at all. I read in a post about someone who had machined the collor down on the clutch bolt,because it would hit the inside threads of the clutch(where puller threads in) and then rapped electrical tape below the collor so the tape was alittle bit bigger in diameter than the part that was machined down, then when clutch bolt was reinstalled, it acted like a dampner and supposedly really quieted it down. Maybe this person who originally posted this will chime in??? :Rockon:

clutch

weasel33 I put alot of clutch kits in for the rattles in the 05 vectors when I worked at a yamaha dealership and it made a world of differece if kit was installed correctly the early vectors had tighter clearances on there crank splines but to much slop in the spiders, so when the new slider and oring kits were installed it helped to tighten up spider clearance thus less rattle

The motor IS making the rattle.

Do the loose splines in the engine cause problems later in the engines life?

mj

clutch

My 08 vector started to get real noisy around a 1000 miles, thats when I started to investigate the rattle, I took measurements of the back and forth play on the rear stationary sheave it was 2mm of back and forth play, and by the time I had 4000 miles on sled, I was between 3 and 4 mm, so something was wearing, Grab onto your primary clutch and rotate it back and forth to see if u have any play, towards the end I could move my clutch with one finger, thats how much movment there was, and it wasnt the spider moving, it was the whole clutch moving. :o|

I'm probably not the first to try this but I'm going to contact Yamaha USA with my vin# in hand and see if there are any updates on this problem.

mj

rough rider u may have a different problem than most of us . I'm asuming you checked the torque on the primary bolt and the torque on the threads that hold the rear sheave to the shaft on the clutch.

I also have that annoying rattle more so at idle with 1,800 miles. Would love to hear about a fix or update. My 05RX is like new and I run it hard.

I always assumed that it was the heavy weights that Yamaha has to use with these high torque engines. I think it is only at idle when the clutch isn't engaged.

Back