• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Collet communicators died, what is the best technology available now?

A&Shuntr

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha Apex XTX 1.75
So what works the best for snow these days?

I use Cardo products, we have almost everyone in the group on them now. I see lots of them on the trails as well. They are waterproof and I haven't had any battery problems although I keep expecting to when it is really cold. We use them year-round. The Cardo paired with the CKX Mission helmet is awesome.

I wrote a review here; Cardo Packtalk Bold Experience

Used Collet at first, then switched to Chatterbox. Had good luck with Chatterbox for 4-6 riders for several years, but recently had more problems than success, do we gave up for a year. This year we are trying Sena 2 ST1s and 2 RT1s. Hopefully Bluetooth mesh will work well.

My comments in the link about range applies to the Sena as well. None of these companies (Cardo, Sena, etc) are inventing bluetooth chipsets. What they are doing is writing software for them and designing the rest of the hardware around them. Where this matters is weather sealing, antenna performance, and battery life, as well as a bunch of quality of experience features like ease of use, access to features, etc..

My advice if you are trying to save money is to buy lower down the model range as it is extremely likely they share much of the same design as the higher end units. My only knock on Sena is the lack of focus on weatherproofing. Performance (other than that) should be similar for all models/brands that are of the same vintage. The biggest difference between them will be the software (app) that runs on the phone.

Best communication distance and reliability would be with a UHF/VHF radio like those offered from Rugged Radio. No GPS / cell phone / music capabilities though.

Back