• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cooling system, is the water pump working?

Etxkurg

Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
Venture Lite 2008 RPZ50VP
Hi, I'm trying to figure out why the the tunnel radiator no:24 ain't getting warm after changing coolant?
I will refer to the numbers in the the attached picture.
When starting the engine in the burping process, I could feel air rad no:6 getting gradually warm from the top to the bottom.
I expected the rad to get evenly warm if the water was flowing through the rad 6.
I then reached down to feel if the tunnel rad no:24 was getting warm, but it was cold, even minutes after air rad no:6 was getting warm.

I thought maybe I didn't get all the air out, or the thermostat was malfunctioning.
But after looking at the attached pic I lean to that the water pump is the culprit?

How can I diagnose if the water pump really is the problem?
Visually there's no indication of leaking.
I can't hear any strange noises.
When i squeeze hose no:4 I can't feel any resistance from flowing coolant.

When it comes's to the water pump it self, how can it just stop pumping water?
What happens if the impeller is stuck? Is there a clutch between the drive shaft from the engine to the pump?

BR Henrik
Yamaha Venture Lite 2008

Attachments

• Radiator.png
    Radiator.png
    523.9 KB · Views: 226

AFAIK, I have never heard of a water pump failure on these engines. If it were to fail, it would probably either leak or just have an internal bearing failure.

Have you tried letting it run long enough to allow the fan to come on? I think I remember seeing that image elsewhere on here and I'm not sure the flow it depicts is entirely accurate. The thermostat has two valves and may not open to the tunnel cooler until it gets hotter. I have changed the coolant many times and it can take a while before it gets hot enough to burp all the air out and the fan to come on. Keep the tank topped up as it goes down and it should be fine.

I didn't wait until the fan started, I'll try that.
Regarding the flow through the thermostat, I might got it wrong. I didn't know about the two valves.
The radiators is connected i series though, can't see how the thermostat can open only to the air rad?

Back