• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cracked 16T oil resevoir

cmd951

Veteran
Getting the sled ready for the snow to fly this fall and noticed some oil under the turbo on a 2006 Nytro with a rear mount MCX turbo kit. The crack is along one of the welds that is part of the oil resevoir under the turbo that catches the oil before being returned to the engine. Two questions: What material is this resevoir made out of and am I going to have much trouble with oiling the turbo after I remove the oil lines to remove the turbo and get it the crack welded?

The reservoar is made of Aluminium, you might check with the dealer if they have an substitute for you, else call / mail MCX directly.
And there is not a problem to get oil back to the turbo.

I'll have to take a picture tonight, but it is cracked along one of the welded seams at the very bottom of the resevoir. So, I should be able to take off the oil lines, weld the crack and reinstall the oil lines and not have to worry about blowing air to charge the system. From what I understand as soon as the motor starts it should pump oil right back into the turbo housing. I'm not sure if it is cracked from a little vibration or just bad luck. The original weld looks like it had good penetration.

I am a bit sceptical about how successful it is to weld when the alu been oil contaminated.

TBird said:
I am a bit sceptical about how successful it is to weld when the alu been oil contaminated.

It just need to be cleaned first, acetone works great.

I know it has been done (oil and alu), do some heat treatment also.
I never heard of any cracked MCX oil reservoar, don't say they are non exist, but they must be rare!

It's the first time I hear of a MCX oil reservoar cracking. Mine came loose once tho, removed the bolts added blue Loctite, never came loose again.

Back