• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

crash...

Rappa

Veteran
Went to a family party this weekend... We all get together once a year and bring the sleds. Lots of food, hanging out, and riding around my uncle's vast property. I had just taken the sled off the trailer when my sister asked to take it for a ride. I said "sure just be careful". I had to say hello to everyone and mingle for a bit anyways. Well about 20 minutes later she comes in the house with tears in her eyes and asked me to come outside with her. I said "Oh no..." She said "yeah". "I'm such an idiot" she said.
She was obviously alright health wise so I asked her "How bad is it?" "It's real bad" she said. I took the long ride to the other side of the property and there it was... My Attak GT with 900 miles on it kissing a tree. I braced for the worst, pulled it out of the woods with the help of my uncles and cousins, and inspected.

Well I was pleasantly surprised to see that she hit the tree just right. The hit was taken between the ski and the cowling. Not a scratch on the cowling and the Simmons ski was untouched. The Upper and lower control arms were bent back and broken at the welds. The Ohlins Shock seems a tad bent at the rod. But other than that, the machine seems fine. I was able to ride it back to the house and got it back on the trailer with ease. My sister was a mess thinking she destroyed my new sled, but I told her it can be fixed and it's not that bad!

So now here is my question... Since this will be the first time I need to actually buy parts for a Yamaha, where is the best place to go for the control arms? Is there a website that is recommended? Also, is there a way to fix the Ohlins Piggyback shock as opposed to replacing the entire shock? Maybe a rebuild? If so, who does that? Any info is greatly appreciated...

Ebayyou can usually get some great deals on this stuff guys are removing it to add light weight parts and sell the takeoffs cheap.

Try posting a list of what you need in the classifieds forum, you'll probably get lots of responses quick, but for some of that stuff you may be quicker going to the dealer.

Attachments

• SRX.JPG
    SRX.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 63
  • SRX 2.JPG
    SRX 2.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 58
  • SRX 3.JPG
    SRX 3.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 59
You should be able to replace the shock rod with a rebuild. the body is the most important part. I buy stuff on ebay....if you know what you're doing you can save a lot of money.

Rappa said:
Also, is there a way to fix the Ohlins Piggyback shock as opposed to replacing the entire shock? Maybe a rebuild? If so, who does that? Any info is greatly appreciated...

I believe pioneer and hygear should be able to replace the shaft for you. If you send all of them in, including the rear, you may be very pleased with the results. If you need to get back on the snow ASAP, then a used shock may be the best answer. Then in the off season, you could send them all in and sell the used one.....or keep it for a spare.

Been there done that with the A-Arms last year. Dam trail markers just seem to jump out of no where! :o| I have a black 07 attak and yamaha only had red a-arms the black ones were on back order. so needless to say I was ripping the whole sled a part to powder coat the a- arms a black metalic. It ended up a blessing that I could only get a red set, because it forced me to take the whole front end a part. When I did that I called Allen @ Ulmer racing and installed his a-arm bushing kit. ;)!

I would strongly recommend doing so. My buddy has 4k miles and his are wore out now. Yamaha puts a nylon bearing in there and they do not last long.

:Rockon:

Brian

Thanks guys. I was able to order the parts I needed from Laneo and I also ordered the bushing kit from Ulmers. I was surprised how easy it was to take everything apart. The damage was limited to the a-Arms, bushings, and the shock. No bulkhead damage and Simmons ski is perfect. Not a scratch on the cowling either. She hit the tree perfect! Thanks again...

ebay first. Then try cheapcycleparts.com. Look your part numbers up on the Yamaha web site then go to cheapcycleparts.com and put the part numbers in. I have found that they are 40% less then that dealer, and you are getting OE parts.

Back