• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Damaged secondary fixed sheave

Skeller1

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha sidewinder ltx-le
Good afternoon all. I just received my secondary sheave back from having 3mm machined off of the stub shaft and I see these two spots. Don’t know how they would have happened but clearly something went awry. What are your thoughts on a fix? I’m worried if I sand smooth it won’t be balanced, and if I order new I’ll probably have to have it machined again in order to align clutches. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
341A7B43-4A8A-4FA9-B9F5-A93BCA7829EB.jpeg
37F2275C-4832-4B43-BC04-2D0EC258EF02.jpeg
6662C53B-71A1-4CFC-A111-38E8C0EDA23C.jpeg

Good afternoon all. I just received my secondary sheave back from having 3mm machined off of the stub shaft and I see these two spots. Don’t know how they would have happened but clearly something went awry. What are your thoughts on a fix? I’m worried if I sand smooth it won’t be balanced, and if I order new I’ll probably have to have it machined again in order to align clutches. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
View attachment 153135 View attachment 153136 View attachment 153137

The machine shop owes you a new sheave, don’t settle for less.

Hard to find good help these days!

Actually when you picked it up you should have refused it and not paid.

Thoughts on trying to sand down and smooth out till after season when I can replace?

Same exact thing happened to me, I took a fine flat file and made the surface flat. I doubt it's perfect but i have almost 500 miles since i did it and belt looks fine. We must have used the same machine shop.

Same exact thing happened to me, I took a fine flat file and made the surface flat. I doubt it's perfect but i have almost 500 miles since i did it and belt looks fine. We must have used the same machine shop.
Thanks Jett, I’ll give that a go.

Crappy engineering, manufacturing and workmanship is such a drag. And worse when companies refuse to stand behind their business. Give them a chance to make it right then smear them across the world when they wont.

I guess if you want to use it, try to get all the rough edges filed/smoothed out the best you can. In my opinion the mark at the top of the sheave isn't as important as the middle sheave. Most of your use is in the middle, so get that as smooth as possible so it doesn't eat belts. I totally agree with the other guys though, and wouldn't be accepting that $h!t work.

It’s just stupid to run it, they owe you a new sheave. Buy the new part and fix it correctly. Take the old sheave and the receipt, get it replaced.
:dunno:

Sh*t happens, was it a machine shop you payed to have do it or one of your buddy's that offered to do it free. Most machine shops are not set up do any little job and they will not spend a lot of time to fixture and hold some pieces the way they would if they were doing 100's of them. If it's a real machine shop they can just add a little weld and recut the face, not a huge deal. you will not throw it out of balance by sanding on it a little to make sure the edges are smooth.

Order a new one.
File what you got for this upcoming trip.
When the new one arrives, take the old one back to the shop with the bill for the new one plus the machining bill.

If you can't get one right away, i have a new one sitting in the box.

Sh*t happens, was it a machine shop you payed to have do it or one of your buddy's that offered to do it free. Most machine shops are not set up do any little job and they will not spend a lot of time to fixture and hold some pieces the way they would if they were doing 100's of them. If it's a real machine shop they can just add a little weld and recut the face, not a huge deal. you will not throw it out of balance by sanding on it a little to make sure the edges are smooth.
It was my father in law who did it for me. He told me right away that it slipped out of the jig he made to hold it while using a surface grinder. It was an honest mistake and not something I hold him responsible for. He doesn’t work in a machine shop but does have access to equipment at work so I asked him if he thought he could do it.
I leave for UP Monday so I just wanted some thoughts on my options since replacing isn’t an option before I leave. I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks!

File/sand it smooth and run it..imo keep an eye on it but I think it will be fine!!!!
Order a sheave in the meantime and replace in the off season

Back