• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Darting 06 Apex Best fix????

ride44

Guys what's the easiest fix for the darting of the 06Apex?

Skidoo Pilot skis, or something else?
Also will Yamaha dealers know how to install the Pilot skis on the Apex, is there anything special they need to do?

Thanks in advance.

R

Darting

Ride, I put a set of simmons skis with shapers on this past weekend. No darting and the sled handles 10x better! ;)! The sled has a new more aggressive confident feel.

Its an easy install, you could do the install yourself with no problem.

Call Scott Bergstrom At bergstrom skegs 815-654-2950 Or go to his web site bergstromskegs.com he will set you up with some tripple point carbides and some very important shims. you won't have anymore darting. tell him Randy from Maxsled sent you. He is a great guy to work with.

Your not getting the real fix info so far.....

Click the TY tech button on top and look for ski shimming and why sleds dart. those articles of info will make you a very happy camper

Shimming is for posers, change the skis. Pilots work great.

ride44 said:

Also will Yamaha dealers know how to install the Pilot skis on the Apex, is there anything special they need to do?

Thanks in advance.

R

markusvt said:
Shimming is for posers, change the skis. Pilots work great.

ride44 said:

Thanks in advance.

R

Uhhh yeah! I have Pilots too and one of the reasons they are great is the SkiDoo stopper loads the back of the ski. In effect, the Pilots are preshimmed.

Put on a pair of Woody's Dually Runners. That will eliminate your dartining problem for good.

I agree shimming makes a world of difference. Simmons also are great skis and make the sled really handle well as well as provide good flotation off trail. One important thing that hasn't been mentioned is to make sure your skis are aligned correctlty. I run my Simmons with shims and aligned as close to parrellel as possible. If you can't get them parrellel a very slight amount of toe out is ok, never toe in.

Please explain what is different about a bergstrom carbide. The triples are so that when the center wears down, you have the other 2. Good idea, but how is that going to stop darting on a snow covered trail, where the carbides aren't even in play. Until you get on ice, a plain steel bar with no carbide will work the same, if it's the same diameter.

How is a 7/16 Woodys bar with 6" carbibe different from a 7/16 Bergstrom with 6" carbide, in regard to darting?

You can shim a ski with any brand bar.

My machine doesn't dart at all with a set of shaper bars.. I see no point in spending money on skis. I was going to shim in the fall but I checked the front of the runner with the machine on the shed floor and its up off the floor. I think your front ski-shock pre-load has alot to do with your darting situation.

Ok what kind of pilot skis do i need.

Anyone have a part number, or do i just go into a skidoo shop and ask for pilot skis?
Do I have to specify lenthg, width or styles too?

R

Scott at Bergstrom is THE MAN. If you take the time to read the information on the BERGSTROM Site, http://www.bergstromskegs.com/tih/history.htm, and think about what is presented there you will understand the problem AND the SOLUTION.
If you are still a doubter, look at the wear on your present carbides - then decide. I am willing to bet they are not worn uniformly!!
Before you just throw money at the problem at least read and understand the information about shimming IT WORKS!! I and many others here have done it and speak from experience!! :rocks:
You sound like you have already made your mind up - hopefully you will step back and look at the problem and try to understand it FIRST.

PS If you think about the Doolies and the others that use 2 or more contact points, all they are doing is locking the front end. Not much different than placing one 2x4 on end in the snow and turning it vs. having two spaced apart slightly and turning them.
Food for thought . . .

I just got done running a set of pilot skis on my apex, and i don't know that they are the solution for me. They are absolutelty great at medium speeds, but when running real hard (as in 100 mph plus on railroad grades) i think they start to push. I also tried the doolies, and they do reduce darting, but i think they slow you down, and increase steering effort.

I am going to be looking at the bergstorm solution next.

I also I am checking with the dealer if they can give my pilots to a buddy to cover a warranty issue on his 06 pilots, if not they are for sale. I'll, post here and the classifieds if i end up sellilng them.

Back