• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dead Battery

mikextx

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 apex xtx
Somehow the battery tender on my 17 apex got unplugged, no idea how long. Battery was stone dead. I charged it on 10 amps for 15 minutes and it fired right up. My question is, now do I trust it? I don't need a dead battery out on the trail. Should I buy a new battery?

Charge the battery for a day or so with the battery tender on the lowest amp setting (1 or2 amps). Check battery voltage with a a meter. Unplug the tender for a week and then check the battery voltage with a meter again. If it drops down to 11v or lower the battery is most likely toast.

Alright, I will do that. Thanks for the reply

Any good auto repair shop will have a load tester. I am with Radianguy, charge it and get it load tested that is the only way to know its condition.

Totally agree with the load test. There is another test it's old school maybe only applies to lead acid batteries and not glass Matt or AGM. It is called a sulphation test. If I remember right you apply a certain amount of amps and if the voltage goes above a certain value it's toast. Saves the tech from taking the time to charge it first. Of course that's from the Automotive world. Maybe not relevant in the Powersports world.

Last edited:
2017 Apex, built in 2016, with either a 2015 or 2016 battery. It's pushing 4 years old.
Batteries talk to us. We need to listen. Going dead in storage is saying it's time to go.
Can you pull start your Apex? Why chance it and wonder during our too short of a season if it's going to make it?
Get a new battery.

I agree with FrozenTows4. Small expense for piece of mind. Otherwise, bring cables and a friend whenever you ride.

Also I noticed that you put it on a car charger at high amps for a period of time. I have been told that putting big amperage through these little batteries is a no no. Slow and steady is the way to go for longevity.

I believe the Yamaha batteries have the charging instructions printed right on them for each amp range your charger has. When I replaced the battery in my Viper I used the Yamaha battery and followed the charging instructions on it. I had done the same 10amp long charge as MikeXTX did on my previous battery and fried it due to the length of time I had the 10amp charge going.

Optimate 3 or 4 is the best battery trickle charger that I know of for small batteries. I have even used them on car batteries. Many times it will bring it back to life and will shut off automatically when charged so it won't get over charged.

2017 Apex, built in 2016, with either a 2015 or 2016 battery. It's pushing 4 years old.
Batteries talk to us. We need to listen. Going dead in storage is saying it's time to go.
Can you pull start your Apex? Why chance it and wonder during our too short of a season if it's going to make it?
Get a new battery.
Only smart post in the whole lot. tired of this debate. If you like pull starting an apex, by all means dont buy a battery. If you want to recharge the old one so it starts right here and now, go that route.

I will get it load tested. That's one thing that I'm not fond of with a 4 stroke, dead battery and your screwed.

That's why I invested in one of those portable NOCO chargers; a GB40.

Back