• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drag N Fly versus Modified stock clutching

Woodysattack

Veteran
Just got back from the UP of Michigan. Did some good testing with tuned Drag n fly setup against my tuned stock clutching. To my surprise the tuned stock clutch setup was faster. We were runnig 1000 ft against my brothers sled on very good hardpacked lake. I ran 3 runs with the mod stock setup and beat him by 1 sledlength and the last 2 runs beat him by 2 sledlengths. Switched to the drag n fly setup and ran the first 2 runs and lost by 2 sledlengths and was even. Switched it up a little to get the r's up a hair and ran 3 more runs. Lost by 3 won by 2 lost by 4. As you can see very inconsistent with the drag n fly. This was with the white primary spring stock secondary pulling 10300 climbing to 10800. When running a little more r's pulled 10400 climbing to 10900 to 10950. The stock setup was very consistant and also was running 1-2 mph more in this distance. I was pulling 10300 climbing to 10700-10800. In the primary running stock spring with inner rivet removed. Secondary running stock white spring with 47/43 helix . Also had very good traction with every run.The only thing the stock setup didn't do as well was backshift. I am going to stick with the modded stock setup been testing the drag n fly the last 2 winters and had it dialed in as good as I could get so there is no more there.My conclusion is if you get the stock weights to pull the proper rpms thru the whole shift curve It is very hard to beat on normal snow conditions. Now on ice with picks where there is no spinning then the drag n fly may be better. This just my opinion on the testing I have done which has been extensive with the drag n fly. Thanks Woodysattack

I have heard good things about ulmers never have tested. Some that have run the drag n fly and also ulmers said drag n fly was just as good. I know my drag n fly was better than my proline. I might try Scotts setup from Boss performance next year against my modded stock. I been hearing good reports on his.What I noticed is you need a very low engagement to run consistent Thanks

Woodysattack said:
Just got back from the UP of Michigan. Did some good testing with tuned Drag n fly setup against my tuned stock clutching. To my surprise the tuned stock clutch setup was faster. We were runnig 1000 ft against my brothers sled on very good hardpacked lake. I ran 3 runs with the mod stock setup and beat him by 1 sledlength and the last 2 runs beat him by 2 sledlengths. Switched to the drag n fly setup and ran the first 2 runs and lost by 2 sledlengths and was even. Switched it up a little to get the r's up a hair and ran 3 more runs. Lost by 3 won by 2 lost by 4. As you can see very inconsistent with the drag n fly. This was with the white primary spring stock secondary pulling 10300 climbing to 10800. When running a little more r's pulled 10400 climbing to 10900 to 10950. The stock setup was very consistant and also was running 1-2 mph more in this distance. I was pulling 10300 climbing to 10700-10800. In the primary running stock spring with inner rivet removed. Secondary running stock white spring with 47/43 helix . Also had very good traction with every run.The only thing the stock setup didn't do as well was backshift. I am going to stick with the modded stock setup been testing the drag n fly the last 2 winters and had it dialed in as good as I could get so there is no more there.My conclusion is if you get the stock weights to pull the proper rpms thru the whole shift curve It is very hard to beat on normal snow conditions. Now on ice with picks where there is no spinning then the drag n fly may be better. This just my opinion on the testing I have done which has been extensive with the drag n fly. Thanks Woodysattack

Your findings with stock clutching coincide with "Blubyyou2000" testing 2006 results vs. aftermarket clutch kits. Here is Matt's post: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ht=weights

fyi its often true you will lose some with a mod....tuned properly the dnf weights will wax the tweaked stock setup....

Back