• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Driver wear

MAMILLA

Extreme
I was wondering my 09 mtx drivers has a little wear on the main drivers that run through the windows of the track and right where the teeth of the drivers hit the track the teeth are showing just a little groove where they hit the clips of the track. Is the track running too loose or to tight or what else would cause this? Or is this normal

it appears to happen alot on the nytros. normal, i dont think drivers should wear out that fast but, thats an opinion. i replaced mine with avids. they have more surface area contacting the shaft, and ALOT tighter and stronger retainer.

i spun a stock driver late in the season with a stock motor. i will replace the wife's drivers this summer. i am not going to take the chance she will damage a driver and ruin a weekend or week long trip. our seasons are too short to have a dissapointment like that.

once they start wearing in, there is no stopping it. they will fail more sooner than later. i think it has to do with heat from trail riding, or late/early season low or set up snow.

the composite the stock driver is made of, will not take larger amounts of heat. they soften up, start cupping, then the heat allows the center of the driver to soften to the point of failure and the driver will spin on the axle.

ski

I've never had any problems with drivers spinning on axles. I've had stock drivers spin called ratcheting from loose tracks. My track on a Yamaha always seems to be loose with stock drivers. For the Avids they melt at the same temperature as your slides. So when your slides heat up and start melting... So are the drivers. Your drivers are not cooling down any with the track heating up and this melts the slides then the drivers. If the boggie wheels were a larger diameter then I think the slides would run cooler and the drivers would last longer. I got almost 5000 miles on a set of Avids this winter. They are worn to the point where they were plucking the clips from my track. I'll have a new set installed after I get inspired to start hauling off a suspension and jackshaft...

In many other posts I have read great things about Avid drivers and I am about to pull the trigger but your post scares me that I will spend $250 for no reason. I appreciate the honesty, it just makes me wonder how long the stock ones would have lasted?

I also spun a stock driver last winter! It was on a really warm day while jumping!

I also have little wear on the main drivers like YamaMtx is explaining!!!
It is more of a problem with the PowerClaw than with the Maverick.

My theory on this is because the PowerClaw is not fully clip and in alternance left-right. Half the time there is a lot of force/pressure on the drivers on only one side!

Just my $0.02

I will go with AVID as soon as my stock drivers are toast!

Anti ratchet drivers.

For Yamaha's anti ratchet drivers are a must in my eyes if your agressive at all. The slides wear out so fast at first because the boggie wheels are too small that your tightening the track all day long on trail. Then even with a fully clipped track the drivers will only be good for about 4000 miles. I had a fully clipped track and Avid drivers. Robby was supprized that I got that many miles before they started melting. Unfortunately I have to remove my jack shaft and suspension to put on new ones for this year and I need to get my track reclipped.

In my mind the only thing I like about yamaha is the motor. It has great fuel economy and it has great power. Now that Skidoo has E tech I think Yamaha are like a sitting duck. 2 strokes don't have that power but is it worth all the problems you encounter with worn suspensions to drive Yamaha's for that power.

I started out driving Yamaha when I was a kid. I don't want to change brands but I can't get over the problems that they never seem to address on slide wear.

Attachments

• XTX 431.jpg
    XTX 431.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 78
  • XTX 220.jpg
    XTX 220.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 78

Back