• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Easy Start Kit

What exactly is the easy start kit? Is it a warranty item? Just curious.

These little guys don't start too great in the super cold. Heck even after they are warm I feel like I am beating on the starter to get the thing to run. My FX Nytro and RX-1 start way better. This little high compression engine seems like you need the starter to keep turning past the point of start up to keep the sled oing.

Thanks,

Steve

SharkAttak said:
has anyone had this done yet? if so, how is it, i haven't gotten mine back yet, was wondering how it is

I have it installed on my sled, but since I've picked it up it hasn't been very cold.
I will post here again during the next cold snap.
This morning it was -6 F/-21 C and it started just fine, but it has always started in these temps...
One thing I did notice was that after the machine is warm from riding, when I go to re-start, the engine starts and quits. I mean the engine RUNS for a second or two and dies, only when the engine is warm.
Not sure if there is a connection ...
I am also trying to figure out gas mileage, I believe it may have gone down... but it could also be that there is more snow than last year, I have to get the "bigger" picture.

GypsyRoots said:
SharkAttak said:
has anyone had this done yet? if so, how is it, i haven't gotten mine back yet, was wondering how it is

I have it installed on my sled, but since I've picked it up it hasn't been very cold.
I will post here again during the next cold snap.
This morning it was -6 F/-21 C and it started just fine, but it has always started in these temps...
One thing I did notice was that after the machine is warm from riding, when I go to re-start, the engine starts and quits. I mean the engine RUNS for a second or two and dies, only when the engine is warm.
Not sure if there is a connection ...
I am also trying to figure out gas mileage, I believe it may have gone down... but it could also be that there is more snow than last year, I have to get the "bigger" picture.

let's us know if you figure out the problem

You guys are going to think I am nuts but I have also complained of hard starting.20 or so cranks to get it to go.Now I cant explain why but last few weeks we have had below zero temps all day and night.Sled is outside and in the really cold temps like it is now it cranks slow but only 3 cranks and fires right up!Waiting for 15-20deg weather to see if it takes 20 again but really wierd.Anyone else noticed this.

Shark maybe after ECU change it needs to relearn?

cannondale27 said:
You guys are going to think I am nuts but I have also complained of hard starting.20 or so cranks to get it to go.Now I cant explain why but last few weeks we have had below zero temps all day and night.Sled is outside and in the really cold temps like it is now it cranks slow but only 3 cranks and fires right up!Waiting for 15-20deg weather to see if it takes 20 again but really wierd.Anyone else noticed this.

Shark maybe after ECU change it needs to relearn?

maybe?, did you have the easy start kit put in yet?

I now have to hold the key after it starts for a second when warm or it starts then stalls. Mine started the other day at -31C after three cranks. It wouldn't even fire at that temp before the update. And it never started at any temp in three cranks.

Have an '07 Phazer FX and an '07 Venture Lite.

Had all updates done on both including a fan at N/C on the FX.

Had the new ECU's installed to cure hard starting on cold days. On start up

with cold engine need to engage the starter longer to start, but always

starts.

On warm engine start up, both will stall unless starter is engaged for 1-2

seconds extra.

Good News : Better starting in cold temps.

Bad News : Both sleds have lost 20 kmh ( 12.5 mph) on top end. Top

speed on the FX was 140 kmh (87.5 mph), now 120 kmh. Top on the VL

was 135 kmh ( 84 mph), now 115 kmh. Also believe fuel mileage has

dropped due to richer settings on the new ECU's, haven't had a chance to

confirm this yet. All speeds were on similar hard pack conditions.

Easier start up in cold temps comes at a price, be careful what you wish

for. Next trip to dealer we're looking for our old ECUs back.

:-o

Something else is wrong. I got my new ECU, and my sled is not noticably slower. I still hit 90 MPH last night, and that's with doolys, which apparently drag a lot...Mileage did seem worse, but again, could be the carbides.

Will check it again this wknd. Everything else is exactly the same as before the ECU updates. FX has duallies, VL has Bergstrom 6" Triple pts. with ski savers and shims. Snow conditions were similar hardpack.

Funny thing to have both sleds lose 20 kmh on the top end....... :dunno:

I've had problems with the stalling when it is cold after having the kit installed. I'm going to have to try the hold the key trick and see if that works.

Back