• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECU Tuning - Higher Mileage

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 Yamaha Sidewinder X-TX LE 141
Officially, the season is over and the sleds are home (so now starts my 'honey-do list'). Before I pull the plug and spend a bunch of money on an ECU tune, I was curious to see what mileage everyone has reflashed their sleds at. Realistically speaking, I'd stick to the Stage 1 flash from Precision EFI or either the EcoTrail SM or PowerTrail SM flash from Turbo Dynamics. While 5,700ish miles isn't a ton on these motors, is an ECU tune even worth it at this point?

Why not? Flashed mine at 900 miles. I now have 8000 miles with plans to run it another 8000 miles. You'll have wished you'd done it sooner.

Last edited:
Why not? Flashed mine at 900 miles. I now have 8000 miles with plans to run it another 8000 miles. You'll have wished you'd done it sooner.

This is only my second summer with my ' Winder and it's not something that was in the cards last summer - but definitely good to know.

Absolutely. Throttlecrack!

Tune it!!!! You won’t regret it. I consistently get 15.5mpg on the EcoTrail SM tune. I haven’t measured my gas mileage on PowerTrail or MS16 SM. Seems like much better mileage than stock.

Tune it. I waited 2 years and did Powertrail SM this year and loved it. Mileage is the same or better than stock. Upgrading to MS 16 SM next year. I suggest you go for a bigger tune like Powertrail or higher to start because you will always be looking for more.

Officially, the season is over and the sleds are home (so now starts my 'honey-do list'). Before I pull the plug and spend a bunch of money on an ECU tune, I was curious to see what mileage everyone has reflashed their sleds at. Realistically speaking, I'd stick to the Stage 1 flash from Precision EFI or either the EcoTrail SM or PowerTrail SM flash from Turbo Dynamics. While 5,700ish miles isn't a ton on these motors, is an ECU tune even worth it at this point?

If the sled has enough power to satisfy your needs, stay with stock.

If not, don’t waste your time with that light tune that you can maybe feel the difference of. Have never tried the Powertrail but I run the Max Spool 16, and I promise you will feel a big difference from stock on that one.

I do not have a problem getting non 87 octane in my riding areas.

Ya only live once, do it!!

How long do you plan on keeping the sled? If you're gonna do it, might as well get as much power as you can afford because at some point you're gonna want more. Don't be scared...pull the trigger. It makes a good sled even more gooder...lol

Don't worry about the miles.
I've installed ecotrail on 4 machines this year because guys don't have to worry if they come across a station with 87 only, and it also works good with little to no clutching changes.

The only problems with bigger tunes (240++++) is the accelerated wear on drive train/ clutching components.

Back