• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Braking

TT670

Expert
After 3 years of hearing about the engine braking on Yamaha 4 strokes I found myself on my RTX asking "What engine braking?" My ski doo would want to throw you over the bars when you let out of it, this Apex has little or none, I let off the throttle and it just coasts.

I would think you could use the engine braking to your advantage in the trails. I've never had a four stroke until my RTX, so maybe I am wrong about this statement but I surely can't wait to find out.

1CS

Funny you mentioned this TT! Did you read the feedback article in this months SnowTech? 4-Stroke Clutching and engine compression braking. The article says the engine brake effect that pushes the rider forward as it decelerates can be over come by changing the drive clutch spring. This guy says he put in a very light spring in the drive clutch and it eliminates compression braking.
He got his spring from Lennon's Power Equipment

Just like it was mentioned at first, the Rev does the same thing due tot he RER, use it to your andvantage and you wont even notice it. You don't ride it into the corners the same way you do a 2 stroke triple.

Im sure the guys that have picked the hell out of their tracks will notice this even more than non-picked sleds.

flyingpig said:
Im sure the guys that have picked the hell out of their tracks will notice this even more than non-picked sleds.

I'm in trouble then.lol

Attachments

• IM000643.JPG
    IM000643.JPG
    474.2 KB · Views: 120
I would like to eliminate or soften the engine braking. I like to coast a bit and let my throttle hand rest a few seconds every now and again....just like with the brake hand. No can do if your throttle has to be "on" the whole time just to keep you moving. More "freewheel" or coast ability is likely to improve mpg's too. The brake is for stopping, pads are cheap and last forever....this is all I need. TT, is your clutch stock?

Too much engine braking is bad. Mainly because as Speedfreak said people often don't see you hit the brake. That's because you aren't. I've gotten in the habit of touching my brake when I let off to engage the light. This after friends said that they almost hit me in the rear end more than a few times.

I'm still trying to find out what your talking about 4 stroke engine braking... After 7 miles on my GT I really feel that a 2 stroke has more engine brake symptoms than this GT... As far as ergos, I think the GT has won... All REV riders take a chance and ride one - you'll buyit...

I have put almost 200 miles on my GT and I dont think I have hit the brakes once. At first I thought I was doing something wrong or the brake was stuck but everything appears to be just right.

Back