• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust routing

Muleskinner

Veteran
Has anybody ever routed their exhaust off the pipe and then straight down to a port in the tunnel? It would silence the sled even more and eliminate any possibility of melting/overheating anything on the cargo rack. Might overheat the track if left idling too long?? Thoughts??

change your avatar and i'll give you an answer.............. just kidding, however i agree it is nasty. I used to have my exhaust exit into the front of the tunnel. it made the sled quiter for people around me but made the exhaust note for me (the rider) annoying. I extended it out to the rear of the sled (still in the tunnel) and eliminated the annoyance for the rider without making that much difference to those around me. After close observation, it does not affect the gas can I carry on back. I turned the exhaust down slightly. If you're interested i can get pic's.

Please post pix....I am goin under tunnel with stock header and a glasspack this week and would love to see how far back yours poors out.

I have two of these systems coming along with Mountain Mod seats.

1oct_nytro_exhaust_.jpg

1oct_undertunnell_.jpg

I would love to go that route but they are a little rich for my blood. Just out of curriosity what would you want for the setup.

Here's what I did for my exhaust. pretty simple to do, and actually didn't cost me a thing. Just some time to fab and install i re-used the stock rubber bushing to mount the tail pipe into the existing mounting bracket behind the seat just mounted from the bottom up.

Attachments

• DSCF1404.JPG
    DSCF1404.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1405.JPG
    DSCF1405.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF1406.JPG
    DSCF1406.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 93
ti might save weight but it is brittle and doesnt like abuse. the cold to hot and back and fourth might not go so well under the tunnel.

i have a ti exhaust on my supermoto bike and i have broken the mid pipe once and the head pipe 3 times, only one head pipe was from impact, the rest cracked from stress and heat.

stainless is the way to go for stuff like this. ski

I going to be in Daytona next week and I will talk to our pipe sponsor Akrapovic. In my opinion they make the best TI pipes. We use them on the roadrace and motocross bikes with no issues.
I will see if they have any ideas or would build pipes for the Yamaha's.

how does it sound with the straight pipe? how does run more importantly

woodsrider said:
Here's what I did for my exhaust. pretty simple to do, and actually didn't cost me a thing. Just some time to fab and install i re-used the stock rubber bushing to mount the tail pipe into the existing mounting bracket behind the seat just mounted from the bottom up.

Re-routed the exhaust outlet on the phazer mtn - instead of going out the back it now goes out the bottom angled back. Compared to the stock version there doesn't seem to be any greater amount of buildup (snow here has been the shit81237s this season so may change in different conditions). Frees up lots of space on the back - much more room for gas can / box / knapsack.

akvector, I didn't notice any performance gain or loss because I had a "straight pipe" that exited in the tunnel up at the front. I think the sled sounds great. It actually is quieter for me because I don't get the harmonics in my helmet like I used to when the exhaust was up front. I've listened to it when other people have ridden it and the exhaust note isn't any louder than before. IMO, on a turbo sled you do not need a muffler due to the turbo. I just rode two days in 2-3 ft of powder and the sled rocks.

Hey Wup!

I wondered if you ever visited here. Sorry to report the two XTXs are in storage and are for sale. The exhaust systems were the last effort to reconcile me and the Yamahas' stormy relationship. Too little, too late. I went and bought a couple of Renegades and haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since the first half mile. Yamaha makes a great sled. It just wasn't great for me.

Coming up? For the May show? I might actually go this year if I'm around. In cognito, though. I'm happiest when flying solo. Under the radar, so to speak. How's E Oregon riding this year? We're having a banner snow year around here. I left the cabin this afternoon in a white-out!

Stewart

Back