• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TD adjustable fuel pressure regulator kit install

Turboflash

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. 137 - PEFI Stage 4
I have installed 3 of these kits in the past week. These are some comments/concerns from my experience. I did call TD and gave them this feedback. They seemed to take it seriously. The kit does serve it's purpose but there could be some improvements IMO.
A. Regulator is Turbosmart and seems to be good quality. It is calibrated well meaning it's very adjustable in fine increments.
B. The custom adapter that goes into fuel rail was not right dimensionally. I had to machine about .012" off the diameter that goes into the recess of fuel rail. If one attempts to press or drive that too-big diameter into the rail, it might crack or split rail, or at minimum distort it badly. Also, IMO it is too long to use this kit on sleds with stock air boxes. To get the 5/16" hose on it, one has to almost kink the hose as it will be up against the back of the airbox. Not good. IMO, I think the kit should come with the aluminum adapter only with a tapped hole in the end. Then the kit should include a straight fitting for those who don't have a stock airbox, and a 90 deg. fitting for those who do. For those who think a 90 deg there might be restrictive I measured the 90 deg I used (brass) and it was .260" which is bigger than the hole in the TD fitting so it can't be restrictive. Not only that but the TD custom fitting is so long that to install the 5/16" hose onto it (with a stock airbox), the hose is almost kinked to make the bend anyway so that looked even more restrictive so I made an executive decision that the 90 deg brass elbow with bigger ID was less restrictive than a kinked 5/16" hose.
Also, the adapter outlet hole is only .230" diameter. So, even if you have a 5/16" (.312") the flow of the hose to the regulator is controlled by the .230" hole in the custom fitting. I drilled out the outlet hole to a bigger size but you have to be careful to not drill too large as to weaken it where the o-ring goes.
C. Kit comes with small liquid-filled sealed pressure gage. As per Mike Knapp's posts, you have to vent the gage or it will not read correctly. This proved to be exactly correct. Remove the small rubber plug and dump out the fluid and then install gage with the hole facing down so nothing can enter gage. Difference between sealed and unsealed was sometimes about 5 psi!
D. Disappointingly, the 5/16" hose included in the kit is only 50 PSI working pressure (stamped right on hose)! Most GOOD fuel injection hose (like Gates Barricade) has a 225 psi working pressure. So, if anyone is running 50 psi, you're right at the working pressure for the sub-standard hose included in kit.
E. The pressure and return regulator ports are 1/8" pipe which is about .269" ID. If one needs 5/16" (.312") or even 3/8" (.375") return size (large pumps), the regulator can only flow what a .269" hole can flow. If system can't return enough fuel to tank, pressure in rail will be too high (higher than set pressure). You'll know right away. There is a TY thread about return hose size.
F. On the 3 sleds I installed this kit on, it seemed to work so despite the 1/8" size ports, it seemed to be able to return enough to prevent over-rich condition.
G. On sleds with stock airbox, one has to find a place to install regulator since the top of the belt guard is not available. I installed regulator in front right engine bay ahead of and below the turbo. I installed it onto the frame cross brace. Pressure hose runs nicely to fuel rail from there.
H. The TD installation instructions are marginal. For example, they say nothing about removing the stock o-ring from stock pressure regulator to put it on their custom fitting. While it's obvious to most of us, IMO the instructions should be clear. IMO, the instructions are also not very clear about which port on the regulator is the pressure (from rail) vs return (to tank) and the regulator has no markings. Instructions need better pics.

I hear ya about the long straight fitting coming off rail but mine fit good. Its snug but not too tight. I run stock airbox and my fuel line goes directly behind airbox. This keeps smooth bends in hose and hose does bot get pinched behind stock box. I can slide it back and forth with ease and I also have wire loom over the hose to prevent and damage from rubbing on anything. Would be nice to include a few fittings for custom installs. The regulator itself is mounted above the fuses. I have a bracket that goes across with a notch cut out so I can still remove cover for fuse panel. Psi readings can be seen from exhaust side of sled with panel removed. I have a different gauge on mine because I cracked the lens on the included line but its a liquid filled gauge and its consistent in pressure readings wether sled is outside or inside or even after hrs of riding. I dont pay much attention to it as afrs are good and closed loop multiplier shows fuel psi is good as multiplier never has to remove or add alot of fuel, just minor adjustments either way in the course of a days ride. Are you saying you saw a fluctuation in gauge pressure after engine conpartment got hot with fluid in gauge or did you take a reading during install and retest after removing oil?

I bought mine, which is AEM from TD years ago and installed without issue. I had it on beltguard but blew a belt and destroyed the gauge.

Afterwards, I strategically mounted it near coolant tank. It's been there 4 seasons without issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20220111_152656.jpg
    IMG_20220111_152656.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I hear ya about the long straight fitting coming off rail but mine fit good. Its snug but not too tight. I run stock airbox and my fuel line goes directly behind airbox. This keeps smooth bends in hose and hose does bot get pinched behind stock box. I can slide it back and forth with ease and I also have wire loom over the hose to prevent and damage from rubbing on anything. Would be nice to include a few fittings for custom installs. The regulator itself is mounted above the fuses. I have a bracket that goes across with a notch cut out so I can still remove cover for fuse panel. Psi readings can be seen from exhaust side of sled with panel removed. I have a different gauge on mine because I cracked the lens on the included line but its a liquid filled gauge and its consistent in pressure readings wether sled is outside or inside or even after hrs of riding. I dont pay much attention to it as afrs are good and closed loop multiplier shows fuel psi is good as multiplier never has to remove or add alot of fuel, just minor adjustments either way in the course of a days ride. Are you saying you saw a fluctuation in gauge pressure after engine conpartment got hot with fluid in gauge or did you take a reading during install and retest after removing oil?
No change hot to cold. After I vented these, the reading was different than before venting. After venting they stayed constant.

My biggest concern was that the TD fitting only has a .230" orifice. I'm not a physicist so I wonder how much fuel can flow through .230" orifice at say 50 psi fuel pressure? Then, what size return line is needed to accomodate that flow so pressure doesn't build in return line at minimal fuel demand? I bet there's an Einstein here on TY that can tell us.

My biggest concern was that the TD fitting only has a .230" orifice. I'm not a physicist so I wonder how much fuel can flow through .230" orifice at say 50 psi fuel pressure? Then, what size return line is needed to accomodate that flow so pressure doesn't build in return line at minimal fuel demand? I bet there's an Einstein here on TY that can tell us.
I'm by no means an Einstein... I run a 1/4" return line to the fuel pump and haven't had any issues. 47 psi key on. I do agree the instructions are lacking. The small hose they supplied to go from the T to the regulator was too big and leaked at the T. I replaced it with a smaller ID silicone hose.

Back