• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

f7 forced me to loose confidence HELP!!

apexg88

Pro
I bought an 06 ER at the beginning of February and absolutely love it.. put 2500 stress free miles on it in northern maine but last weekend I raced an F7 and was expecting to blow him out of the water, he got a 2 sled jump on me than I caught up mid range, but we were dead even ski to ski when the dream o meter read 115. This made me mad.

My sled is stock I want to modify it in the off season

What mods have you found to really work

Whose Clutch kit?
What gearing?
And anything else?

I NEVER want to see an F7 next to me EVER again

Turk said:
X2...a well tuned f-7 will/should kill an apex. Pick on the lame ducks that have clueless owners.

Even the well tuned F7's I have seen are tough to the century mark, maybe a bit over...... I believe the Apex/Attak should out run them on top if setup properly. I have a buddy that owns a 2007 Attak that is bone stock and every time I have been around him that thing wings up to the 120 mark and beyond on the dream-o-meter. It is flat out FAST.

The only ones that are real strong are the 03's. I have beaten alot of them, but yes, you won't do it stock forum. Also you need to hook it up. Start with 1.450 studs. 23/38 gearing. Lighten up the inner rivits and center rivits in the Primary weights from 4.6g to 3.6g and leave the tips alone. Make sure the track is up to spec. That should take care of it.

If you lose again, then run install a PCIII/ignition controller and put on a Fix air lid. The key is to getting it hooked up. The Apex is very slow in soft snow, but on hardpack it fly's. That's why you need to run the 144 1.450 Woody's meg studs. Not much money in the gearing, studs and adjustments to the clutch weights. Good luck...

My son & I raced a few times this year. He was on my wifes 06 Apex ER and I was on the 07 Attak GT. He jumped out in front instantly to a 3 sled spread 3 times in a row. I could stay with him but could never gain on him. We weight the same and all is stock for both machines except for the Apex. The Apex has Ulmer clutching.

Shivesy said:
My son & I raced a few times this year. He was on my wifes 06 Apex ER and I was on the 07 Attak GT. He jumped out in front instantly to a 3 sled spread 3 times in a row. I could stay with him but could never gain on him. We weight the same and all is stock for both machines except for the Apex. The Apex has Ulmer clutching.
What's this have to do with racing an F7?

I got smoked by a 03 F7 on a long lake run. I was running dooly carbides with stock skis.
This year I barely bet him with Curve skis, Shaper carbies and CR10EK plugs. 105 on GPS (127 on dreamometer). Honestly I think his kitty is starting to hit on old age.

Attachments

• n1558457632_174444_4454455.jpg
    n1558457632_174444_4454455.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 68
yamaouch08 said:
Shivesy said:
What's this have to do with racing an F7?

The op asked what mods work. He is offering his experience with the Ulmer clutching vs stock.

[/quote]What's this have to do with racing an F7?[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken apexg88 lost the start of the race with an F7 by 2 sled lengths. My message was that he should be able to pick those 2 sled lengths up easily with a clutch kit. :o|

jlemieu1 said:
I got smoked by a 03 F7 on a long lake run. I was running dooly carbides with stock skis.
This year I barely bet him with Curve skis, Shaper carbies and CR10EK plugs. 105 on GPS (127 on dreamometer). Honestly I think his kitty is starting to hit on old age.

127 on the dreamola was only 105 GPS? That's scary to think how far off these speedometers are.

I too have come across some pretty strong F7s, all of which I found were 2003s but I've seen a few slouches as well. I'll still take my stock Apex and ride all day without having to worry about whether or not I'll need to be towed home.

Back