• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FAQ: Hyfax Wear...WHY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BombaPolaYama said:
Daranello said:
MrSled said:
Wheel size is the answer.... More wheel contact and less on the slide wear... but on the other hand, break in is so crucial as well as changing them to early. Running a XTX with 2300 miles on original set.

yeah break in is important,,,broke in my originals 2000miles no issus.....slap a new set in 69miles no break in hit aluminum :o|

So what is the recommended break-in period and how should you ride during that period?

I just rolled 4000 miles on a stock set of XTX slides. The way they were broke in is on plowed 1 mile ice track on the lake and at the end of each hard run get the sled in some loose snow to cool them down.... did that for quite a few miles (50ish) after that point just trail rode it.

:Rockon: I have 5,000 on my original hyfax on my 2010 Apex LTX GT. I run the track loose no wieght just make sure I have 1.5 -2 inches in middle of slides. I tend to ride in good snow conditions and find powder or loose snow when ever I can( side of trail) I am fully picked( 168) and I think that helps kicking snow (water) on hyfax. on all my sleds 2 and 4 strokes I run them to wear marks and then keep an eye on them. I only change when I see a real differance in wear marks or see the rail through the bottom. Bob from Twinn lakes Yamaha told me that all yamahs will wear fast to the wear marks than if broke in properly they will have that glaze( slip) and be fine. It has worked for me.

The Yamaha slides do tend to wear quickly when first put on but pretty much stop wearing and last a very very long time once the heat from the bottom of the slide is close enough to the rail so the rail acts like a heat sink and keeps the slide from overheating and wearing prematurly. What that means is most people are changing their slides to soon.

You know, I found the secret was to buy a better hyfax.... My first 2 sets from stock Yamaha burnt right off. Lucky if they lasted a half a year to a year... I ad a 2010 nytro. So I bought a better hyfax. one with a high high melting point (if that's what you call it) and Bamm!!!! Zero issues. Rode the same slider for a 1.5 years now, and they are barely worn down....

And to follow up on my previous post... as I read another posters response.... kick snow in before you even start.. make sure your always around snow.. don't run to long on bare.... simple stuff like that works well.... and a good quality slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back