• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride on my 11 Apex today

dice_jay

Veteran
What an absolute piece of junk............ my old sled is now that I've ridden the Apex! not much snow, but enough to run some ditches etc. definitely putting on the snowtrackers sooner than later. Power steering is a first for me. At first, it felt a bit odd, but I got used to it real quick and it's great. First ride without studs too. I love sliding through the corners and fishtailing, but stopping was a bit of an eye opener. Considering going with minimal studs. I thought the suspension was awesome considering my last sled was a stock viper with the rear nitrogen shock gone in it. the rear feels good, but steering was a bit mushy so I may add a bit to the front shocks. :yam:

These Yamaha 4strokes are awesome Glad you love it

I got out again today for my second ride. I haven't got the snow trackers on yet, by I'm wondering if I have a different issue. At lower speeds, or in deep powder, even in someone else's grooves, it's fine, but on decent hard pack and accelerating, at around 50mph it's almost like a speed wobble, not really darting so to speak? is that more of a suspension thing, needing the snow trackers on before I ask anymore questions, me just needing to get used to the power steering, or me just needing to understand my definition of darting better so I can explain things better?

Just came in from my first ride on mynew 2011 apex se , previous sled was a 2007 apex er . had Woody's dualles on the 2007 worked great . I have snowtrackers on my new sled and there even better , now I have never had studs in any of my apexes and with the 2011 I would suggest using te semi aggressive snowtrackers

sounds like you are wondering from the back end....this is the reason that I feel the apex xtx is superior. It stays planted in the rear instead of being squirlly. This is just my oppinion

dice_jay said:
I got out again today for my second ride. I haven't got the snow trackers on yet, by I'm wondering if I have a different issue. At lower speeds, or in deep powder, even in someone else's grooves, it's fine, but on decent hard pack and accelerating, at around 50mph it's almost like a speed wobble, not really darting so to speak? is that more of a suspension thing, needing the snow trackers on before I ask anymore questions, me just needing to get used to the power steering, or me just needing to understand my definition of darting better so I can explain things better?
I have the xtx and it is way less squirly than my friends 128 give it a little time you will get used to then switch to a different sled then go back and you wont believe the difference.

I had the same thing. Other apex owners told me to switch carbides to Woodies Duallies. (or any other non single keel carbide)

It worked perfectly as soon as i changed to The woodies Duallies

Remember...4" carbidesh no studs...6" carbides with 96 studs...8" carbides if more than 96 studs.

However if you want to spend more, you can achieve the same (or better if there is such a thing) with dual keeled/ carbided skis or snowtrackers.

Until you do the dual carbides, and iof course check ski alignment, do not think of track length or anything else

icebreaker said:
dice_jay said:
I have the xtx and it is way less squirly than my friends 128 give it a little time you will get used to then switch to a different sled then go back and you wont believe the difference.
Mines's not squirly at all with no studs and semi aggressive snowtrackers, and yes check ski aligniment and yes a 128 in apex se

Read the install note on the SnowTracker's! And set toe to 0.

Finally got a nice ride in last weekend with 350 km. I love the snow trackers! What a huge improvement along with the transfer rod adjustment and limiter strap raised 1 hole. I'm getting terrible mileage (before and after adjustments and snow trackers) about 150km when the light comes on. Hopefully better after it breaks in. I have also been reading a lot about the hand warmers not working well. Mine are very hot and I alternate between 1 bar and off. I touched the thumb warmer with no gloves when it was at med and burnt myself. I was riding on Sunday with the warmers on low and no gloves on. That was nice!

Your mileage is fine.

Your sled only holds 34 litres and there is around 10 left when the light comes on.

5.5 to 6 gallons for over 90 miles is fine for a high horsepower sled not even broken in. thats about 15 - 16 miles to the gallon.

Back