• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Flashing Park Light

rozo jr

Veteran
I have a box stock '04 Grizz, and twice the indicator light for the parking gear began flashing briefly. The first time I was running down an asphalt road WOT, the second time I was winching out a buddie from a mud hole. When winching, I had the bike in neutral, both brakes locked down and was applying moderate throttle.
This leads me to believe that the light might be flashing because I'm on the rev limiter, but I couldn't find anything in the owners manual to confirm this. Does anyone know what else might make the parking gear indicator light flash?

I've looked at the service manual and can't find anything to indicate that the Grizzly can "flash codes". Late model Yamaha snowmobiles have sections in their manuals to interpret flashing codes so I have to assume that the Grizzly manual would contain the same.

My thought would be a loose connection that "makes" the switch to turn on the light at a certain vibration but that's purely a guess.

Hopefully someone more intimate with Grizzly electricals will read this thread.

Done that too and in park rev the motor it will do it. I believe its a indicator to warn you of about to hit Revlimiter! Dont hold me to that, but I remember a breif thing being said in HL forums about it once!

When this light flashes it is due to the engine rpm being above 3000 I believe and the speed sensor reading 0 mph. This definitely will happen if you rev it up while in park or neutral. As far is it happening while moving I would check the wiring to the speed sensor and make sure it is ok.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone,

Kevin, should I bring my Grizz in to check this out before the warranty expires?

Thanks,
Junior.

I checked into this further and it looks light the reverse light should flash in one second intervals anytime the engine is operated at 3000 rpm or higher for 10 seconds without the cdi receiving a signal from the speed sensor. If your park light is the one flashing I am not sure what would be going on. If it is the reverse light flashing (And your not in park or neutral with the throttle applied) I would check into the speed sensor wiring. Either way it most likely would be worth getting checked out if it is happening while moving.

Another one of those undocumented Yamaha features like the method to turn on the lights without starting the engine on RS snowmobiles?

Let's see if I remember, Hop on one foot, cycle the kill switch, hold the handwarmer button for 3 seconds while rubbing your tummy then.... oh never mind. LaLaLa

Now you have me thinking, Kevin. It may have been the reverse light and not the parking light that was blinking as I originally thought. Both lights are in close proximity to one another on the display and are almost the same color, I might have gotten them mixed up.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, the speedometer was displaying about 66 mph when the light was flashing going down the road, so I would think the speed sensor is wired and working correctly, unless I'm wrong about how the speed sensor actually works.

Where does it "plug in"? What should I look for? Maybe something got out of whack when I installed the winch.

The speed sensor should be on the left hand side of the motor right behind the dipstick. It is held in by one bolt. The sensor has three wires. The white wire coming out of the sensor sends a signal to both the digital dash and the cdi. If the wire was damaged after the split between the dash and cdi it would allow the dash to work but yet the cdi might not receive a signal. This is where I would start checking. Have you modified any of the speed limiters (diff or reverse)? May have something to do with it. :? :?

No mods have been done to override any of the limiters. The only thing I did was mount the winch. I'll look at the wiring, but more than likely I'll bring it in and have Iron Mike check it out. Even If I do nothing, I don't think it will hurt anything having the light blink occasionally, or will it?

Back