• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Flooding after sitting warm

polarisconvert

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RX1
Ted Jennety Clutching, jetting, air box mod.
Arctic Cat Z1 Turbo 128" Rear Suspension
128" Hacksaw 1" track.
Heated seat
Went for our last ride in the U.P. this weekend. Trails were perfect and so was the weather. After riding and then stopping for a rest my sled would be flooded on the restart. Would have to hold throttle a little to get started. Some times it would be worse than others. Is it time for new needles and seat. If so, why does it not over fuel while riding? I got 17 mph on the first tank and a the worse it got was 14 after several miles at higher speeds.
Thanks for your help.
Bruce

it is heat soak. I put a temp gauge on mty warrior, and it would be 161 when ridding, and be over 200 after a short break. Put snow on the running boards if you are going to sit for long. You may want to check your choke, I had mine on maybe 1/10 of the way on friday, and it magnified the problem alot. Maxdlx

install a shutoff valve on the carb coolant line. when the the temperture warms up in the spring, the carbs and gas in them get too hot, causing the hard start/flooding issue.

Yup used to have the same problem with my 05 shorty. Put a shut off in the carb coolant line and have never had a problem with it again.

Thanks for the help guys. I remember reading about this but couldn't remember the fix. I tried a search but I don't have much luck with it.
Bruce

Yep carbs are to warm and percolating. In warm weather I pull the flap forward off the carbs. That helps a little. Just opening the hood cools the carbs quite a bit and helps as well. I never bothered with a shutoff I just hold the brake and turn the key with my wrist opening the throttle a bit. You don't want it to burst to life and run into anyone.

Its a mild weather thing by the time its a bother the season is over most of the time.

So the carbs will get that hot to cause the fuel to percolate?

Wonder if that would be why in warm weather, and higher motor temps(190+) my engine runs like #*$&@, but runs fine when cooler (150-160)

If your sender is above the motor heads the gauge will read very hot after you shut it off, all the heat rises into the coolant stuck in the lines above the head, so it's not an accurate gauge of how hot the motor is...it's not getting hotter after you shut it off, just that one spot is. As soon as it starts the gauge on mine drops almost instantly back down to normal or a little less, depending on how long it was shut off.

This was also the first weekend that I had the temp light come on. It was about 30 degrees but the trails were very hard packed. We often tried to use our boots and put snow under sled when going down the trail.
I went off trail and ripped it around in some deep snow and the light went off right away. This all makes sense.

Thanks again
Bruce

RaWarrior said:
So the carbs will get that hot to cause the fuel to percolate?

Thats my guess for what it is worth. If you have high motor temps when running your carbs are at the same temp. I have not noticed a problem when running as much but I pull the rubber flap off the carbs so cool air can get at them through the vents on the hood.

Just when stopped for awhile. A short stop is fine a really long stop is fine. Its that 5 or 10 minute stop that makes it harder to start.

Mine does the same hard start when stopped for a bit, does it even when cold.
I installed a coolant shut-off and it didn't make any difference.

I ran into the same cooling issue this last weekend, it is because the snow has gone through some warm ups in addition to the generally warm temps.
The snow is more like little ice balls. They have almost no surface tension to make them stick to your track or the heat exchangers, so they transfer little to no heat.

A friend I was riding with has an Apex, he didn't have any issue with cooling, just his fan and air exchanger would come on. So I ordered the air radiator and the cooling lines for it today. Should have them on by next week, will let you know how it works.

This last weekend, I would fill the running boards with snow at every stop, like I was filling a cooler. It was funny and worked great! lol :-o

I have always had to press the throttle a bit for a good warm start. I also "flip the flap" at 20 degrees F. But, the problem is really bad, then you may want to double check that the relay running the carb heaters has not failed on.

Thanks Len, it is about the same as yours, just always have to open the throttle a bit after it sits for a few minutes.
Will check the carb heat anyway.

Are you still riding?
We were up at Waters the beginning of this week, was still good! :Rockon:

Back