• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Footwell corrosion 14 sr viper

RacinJason15

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
17' Yamaha Sidewinder LTX DX
How many have a high mileage viper? Mine has 6000 miles and the back of the sled footwell where it connects to the tunnel powder coat swelled up and chipped all off! Anyone have this happen to them? I'm considering putting skinz running boards on. I'm really upset this happened.. You think Yamaha would step up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this happen as well on my 14 white ltx after first season
Im In the process of removing for powder coat for this season

Is it on the brake side? If so the brake fluid will do that. Mine looks pretty rough everywhere. White shows everything. I use a white paint pen to touch it up in some spots.

e52b42606d5e26ed05afb5d105f2c52f.jpg

I've already started to clean it up. Might buy new ones if they come coated again. Otherwise I may pull the rivits and have them redone.

3036d9a0daf550f27b5e5e1afad87e0d.jpg
dfd9bcec4f17ee8dbec2a604fccc659a.jpg
fdda59369ef61698596d1a3c8513dfac.jpg

The other side as well its bubbled and you can push on it and it's completely separated.. Shaking my head this shouldn't be.

They call them out in the microfiche as "gussets"

I love the painted parts but they should be powder coated and not painted. What were they thinking?

Mine has some of that bubbling on the upper part of that brace too. It may be powder coated. Must be corrosion of that casting causing it. Probably bad prep.

Any new feedback or ideas on this. Is it happening on newer. Got it on 3 14 in the group we ride with.
Wanted to see what others may have done to address.
Is it just the gusset that gets removed and potentially re powder coated?

Yes to what part or all
Ty
Yes just remove and repaint or in my case I replaced both because the rivet hole on lower part that goes into running board was corroded so bad that Rivet no longer held tight. Its Pot Metal cheap light junk. Does the job but doesnt last. I see some Aftermarket runningboard kits use tubing or billet.

Yes just remove and repaint or in my case I replaced both because the rivet hole on lower part that goes into running board was corroded so bad that Rivet no longer held tight. Its Pot Metal cheap light junk. Does the job but doesnt last. I see some Aftermarket runningboard kits use tubing or billet.
Mine is the same, at least they aren't really expensive.

Ok. So drill out rivets remove and repaint.
What do we do for rivets. As they are also painted.

I assume this was all painted as one from factory or do they sell color matches rivets.

Got any pics of finished product?

All the rivets are available, painted, from the dealer. I'm surprised and disappointed how many I've bought and replaced at least every other year on various parts of the tunnel, but if you read the manual it is part of the expected yearly maintenance.

Back