• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

?? For Those Who Ordered a Sidewinder

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod
I'm curious and I'm sure a lot of other TY members are too:

To anyone that has ordered a new SW, are you going to be replacing your current ride with a SW or adding the SW to what you're currently riding?

It should be interesting to see what everyone is doing and why.

My wife and I both currently ride '06 Apex's. Hers is a 136" and mine a 144". Planning on keeping both for next year and ordered a SW LTX-LE to add to our rides. I just couldn't pass up all of the new tech that Yamaha has brought to the table with the SW. We'll wait and see how long we hang on to our Apex's depending on how the new SW pans out and what Yamaha introduces in 2018.

Sidewinder XTX 137 LE is being added to my fleet which includes '14 Viper LTX SE, '11 Nytro XTX, and '03 RX1. I love my Viper and have close to 7000 mi on it. Nice to have a newer back up sled in garage just in case, also like to switch up every so often so I don't put all the mileage on one sled. Next year is gonna be hard because I think the Sidewinder's gonna be too awesome to ever leave in the garage. Oh well, the rest of the family can ride the other sleds.

I'm waiting to see how the first few do next season, if no issues I might pick one up in the early spring or wait till fall . Unless Yamaha comes out with some more models. I will still keep my apex just incase of any issues and aslong as I can hide one from the wife.

Sidewinder XTX 137 LE is being added to my fleet which includes '14 Viper LTX SE, '11 Nytro XTX, and '03 RX1. I love my Viper and have close to 7000 mi on it. Nice to have a newer back up sled in garage just in case, also like to switch up every so often so I don't put all the mileage on one sled. Next year is gonna be hard because I think the Sidewinder's gonna be too awesome to ever leave in the garage. Oh well, the rest of the family can ride the other sleds.
Just curious as to what made you decide to go with the XTX LE 137 vs the LTX-LE? Pondering between those myself. Thanks

Awol I have a 13 nytro xtx and thinking going to the sidewinder. Do you ride your Nytro much anymore compared to the viper what is more fun?

I have a 13 nytro xtx and thinking going to the sidewinder. Do you ride your Nytro much anymore compared to the viper what is more fun?
If I may... MAKE THE MOVE! I have a turbo Viper and a Nytro XTX. The Nytro only came out of the trailer a few times this season, for my brother to ride and for me to be a good Samaritan and go back for a Ski-Doo that needed to be towed back to his trailer. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Nytro, but the Viper rides flatter and better in the rough stuff and oh yeah...the MORE POWER = MORE FUN!!

Just curious as to what made you decide to go with the XTX LE 137 vs the LTX-LE? Pondering between those myself. Thanks

Only differences known at this time: LTX has a Kashima coat, different (center?) shock, LTX - 137x1.25 Ripsaw/XTX - 137x1.75 Backcountry, and of course color options.
Although I can't answer for him... That Backcountry track is one of the best crossover tracks on the market, and imo, the Ripsaw is garbage. Somehow the XTX is $700 cheaper too.

I've been eyeballing that XTX 137 from day one, it would be the perfect sled for the MN area. Tough to spend that much though when the last two years here have been terrible.

The 1.75" Camoplast backcountry track. I've discussed the use of this track with a few others that ride in similar conditions like I do (mix of powder and hardpack trails...lake effect snow areas of NY), and they cant say enough good things about it. We feel that with the power of this sled, your going to need something more than a 1.25" to get decent traction. Few other things, color...I like the red, and also price. Even though its still expensive, the XTX LE 137 is a bit less than LTX LE mostly because of not using Kashima coat shocks (the FOX QS3 on the XTX are pretty awesome themselves). Had to keep the price as low as possible while still getting features that I wanted.

The 1.75" Camoplast backcountry track. I've discussed the use of this track with a few others that ride in similar conditions like I do (mix of powder and hardpack trails...lake effect snow areas of NY), and they cant say enough good things about it. We feel that with the power of this sled, your going to need something more than a 1.25" to get decent traction. Few other things, color...I like the red, and also price. Even though its still expensive, the XTX LE 137 is a bit less than LTX LE mostly because of not using Kashima coat shocks (the FOX QS3 on the XTX are pretty awesome themselves). Had to keep the price as low as possible while still getting features that I wanted.
Thanks for sharing. Makes sense. The other thing I was considering was going with the LTX-LE and doing a track swap. I prefer studs and the dealer showed me a 1.6" pre studded (can't remember the name brand. ) This would allow for the kashima shocks and get me the better traction. Although, then we're talking some more $. Not sure if the shock difference between the XTX and LTX is that big or definitely worth it.

Awol I have a 13 nytro xtx and thinking going to the sidewinder. Do you ride your Nytro much anymore compared to the viper what is more fun?
My '14 Viper and I'm sure the '17 Sidewinder are 100 times better sleds than the Nytro. The AC Procross chassis is by far the best thing Yamaha ever did to their 4 stroke sled program. The front suspension on them is excellent right out of the box with none of the bad ski lift traits of the Nytro. Also front end parts last longer. Nytro front ends are sloppy and loose after 500 miles while my Viper's front end is as tight as day one with almost 7000 mi on it. Other than the fuel mapping issues (and no I have never had the starter motor fail) I can't say enough good about the sled. Only thing I really ever wished for was about 30-40 more hp which of course the new Sidewinder will give us. I still do like to ride my Nytro. It's what I call my "little scrapper". Much better ditch banging sled than Viper and power delivery seems completely different between the two. Not that the Viper can't ditch bang, its just that the Nytro seems to be better suited to that type of riding while the Viper is a much better trail/all-around sled. For what its worth also, I leave my sleds pretty much completely stock. I know you can take basically any sled out there and make it perform great in any condition if you throw enough money and parts at it. That's just not how I like to do it though.

Thanks for sharing. Makes sense. The other thing I was considering was going with the LTX-LE and doing a track swap. I prefer studs and the dealer showed me a 1.6" pre studded (can't remember the name brand. ) This would allow for the kashima shocks and get me the better traction. Although, then we're talking some more $. Not sure if the shock difference between the XTX and LTX is that big or definitely worth it.
I'm not sure either about the diff in ride between the 2 shock types. I'm gonna say definitely a difference but probably not earth shattering. The Kashimas apparently are adjustable in both compression and rebound where the QS3's are adjustable only in compression. That's prob the biggest thing. Also, the front shock in the rear skid of the XTX 137 appears to be the standard rebuildable HPG (Cat ACT) shock and not a fox. Same shock that's in my Viper which I'm perfectly happy with and have gotten excellent service out of.

Replacing my 2014 LTX DX with Sidewinder LTX DX. Liked the viper, just needed more horsepower, now I,ll have it

I am replacing my 2014 RTX -SE with a LTX-LE, only complaint with the rtx-se was lack of power, this has been addressed. Out the hole the viper was more than enough until it was arm stretching time then it kinda fell on its face. I didnt enjoy 600's coming around at the far end of the lake.

The only issue with getting rid of a sled, and replacing it is the beating we will all take this year. The lack of snow killed resale, cause esoteric many 20115-2016 sleds still sitting unsold. Dropping the value on the other used sled out there. The other beating you take is when you see new technology replacing now, or shortly what you own. Like a Doo 850 soon to replace the 800, the cat 9000 replaced by the thundercat. The aftermarket boosted vipers, and apex models drop cause of the sidewinders. So on, and so on. Like owning an rx-1 when the apex came out......

Back