• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox Float Roost Damage

I got back from the first real trip of the year and was washing down my sled when I noticed a very small chip of paint missing from my upper control arm and a small dent in my floater, so I take the shock off the sled and let the air out and perform the ever faithful bounce on the shock trick.... of course it jams about half way in... so I took it apart and I have a basically effed floater all due to a chunk of ice or a stone maybe... never felt or seen anything out of the norm all day... anyone else have this happen ?? is there anywhere to buy parts or just replace the whole shock ?? anyone have a good one ??

Is this on an Apex with the Fox Mega Float on a Mono skid?

If so, and you've gouged the surface of face of the lower shock body, I believe it has to be replaced as it will always lose air in that spot if there are dents or grooves, etc.

Maybe post some pics so guys can see what exactly you mean.

heres the pics

Attachments

• new 18.jpg
    new 18.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 126
1. I would assume you could buy parts. Maybe right from your Yammi dealer?

2. That kind of damage, from "roost", would be pretty unusual. IMHO

Burntlandsbandit said:
I got back from the first real trip of the year and was washing down my sled when I noticed a very small chip of paint missing from my upper control arm and a small dent in my floater, so I take the shock off the sled and let the air out and perform the ever faithful bounce on the shock trick.... of course it jams about half way in... so I took it apart and I have a basically effed floater all due to a chunk of ice or a stone maybe... never felt or seen anything out of the norm all day... anyone else have this happen ?? is there anywhere to buy parts or just replace the whole shock ?? anyone have a good one ??

I bet that could be fixed. I know Mike Carver from Carver Performance specializes in Floats, and could fix them. Bjowett from this site couild also fix them I bet.

On Floats, I recommend using the Airprene covers. I've heard Floats will get too hot using standard covers and damage them, retaining too much heat. They also make the plastic Float guards, but I'm not sure them make them in an enlarged size to fit on the Mega Float.

Sorry about the damage dude. When I look at my Ohlins EC shock when I remove it from my Mono skid, it looks like takes a beating in there, looks like it gets pelted with ice, rocks, salt, sand, etc.

Just a quick update, Yamaha does not have parts for floats they can only sell an entire shock, I called fox and they are supposed to have parts but cannot ship or confirm because they are closed for inventory until the 4th of january, (very nice guy actually answered phone today). This is the interesting part, the guy at fox claims the factory issue fox shocks that Yamaha buys in bulk are actually cheaper quality ie not as good as the comparable shock you would buy as an aftermarket item over the counter. he said they look identical but the materials differ.... who would of thought....

Burntlandsbandit said:
Just a quick update, Yamaha does not have parts for floats they can only sell an entire shock, I called fox and they are supposed to have parts but cannot ship or confirm because they are closed for inventory until the 4th of january, (very nice guy actually answered phone today). This is the interesting part, the guy at fox claims the factory issue fox shocks that Yamaha buys in bulk are actually cheaper quality ie not as good as the comparable shock you would buy as an aftermarket item over the counter. he said they look identical but the materials differ.... who would of thought....

Somebody at Fox Racing just got fired for admmitting to that. Although I believe it.

I believe yamaha went with the fox shock because it was cheaper than the ohlins, I know i will be keeping my ohlins and the new spare i have when i order a new apex next year i will be taking out the fox and be putting in the ohlins

Back