• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

fox floats vs gytr and rear shock options

Frontside93

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha Phazer Mtx
This question has been asked but want some new opinions on it. I can get fox floats for 230 that need new bushings or 300 and he supplies bushing or I can get gytr piggy backs for 350 which will be rebuilt. I've seen mixed reviews on the floats from good to bad. Just want some more opinions. Will be going on 2011 phazer mtx but adding rtx a arms in front to make it more of a trail sled.

Also, looking what shock absorber to use for the rear. if anyone has opinions on that. Needs a 17.5" shock. Just looking for better options for the rear instead of having to buy non rebuildable ones.

Thanks in advance!

i had fox floats on the front of the 09 rtx i had. one was jammed but didn't know until 1st ride with it. guy gave me a sacked out set of gytr's for it and loved them. got them rebuilt and are still on that sled.

the skid is the same, shock wise, for the mtx vs the xtx/rtx/gt other than the shock construction methods. other than the rtx being valved dang stiff from factory and longer travel, any of the other rebuildable ones would work for you.

one thing you might want to consider is replacing the top gear to the xtx spec one if doing a lot of trail riding for fuel economy. the rtx i made into an xtx had the mtx gearing witch cut into the fule milage pretty good. gobs of power though.

i had fox floats on the front of the 09 rtx i had. one was jammed but didn't know until 1st ride with it. guy gave me a sacked out set of gytr's for it and loved them. got them rebuilt and are still on that sled.

the skid is the same, shock wise, for the mtx vs the xtx/rtx/gt other than the shock construction methods. other than the rtx being valved dang stiff from factory and longer travel, any of the other rebuildable ones would work for you.

one thing you might want to consider is replacing the top gear to the xtx spec one if doing a lot of trail riding for fuel economy. the rtx i made into an xtx had the mtx gearing witch cut into the fule milage pretty good. gobs of power though.
Im going with the gytrs. they are getting rebuilt.

For the rear skid only trouble im having is that the rear shock absorber in skid blew out. Im getting another used one. Just wanting to get one thats rebuildable. I have a 121 resi shock but cant use that with the mtx skid.

Did you go with the 18t or 19t? mtx is 17t and gt is 20t.

the xtx calls for the 19t top gear. i had the 18t top gear on the rtx and it was too deep for good fuel economy trail riding. i put on the xtx 1.5" lug track with the xtx/mtx drivers and the skid rails out of an mtx into the 09 rtx to make it the rtx/x in my signature. if you have the 2" lug track, you might want to try the 18t for the extra weight of the track. sry i forgot the rtx was not as deep gear as the mtx.

There was a guy called blueironranger that used Ski Doo rear shock in his Phazer I believe they were out of a Sc3/4/5 skid . I think he said any of those years work . All you had to do was add a few washers . I have some Worx rebuildable shocks out of a SC3 skid that are kind of high end for back then. The front shock has triple rate springs . I’ll try to find a picture. If the measurements are close they would be cheap !!

Back